A directional hypothesis test for a reliability coefficient

A directional hypothesis test for a reliability coefficient

Myers, Nicholas
Hello.

I am trying, unsuccessfully, to test this directional null hypothesis:
H0: alpha less than or equal to .70, using SPSS syntax.

Below I provide the syntax for the non-directional test, which works
fine.

reliability variables=gs1 to gs10/

            scale(TOTAL)=gs1 to gs10/

            statistics=corr cov/summary=means var total/

            icc=model(random) type(consistency) cin=95 testval=.70/

            model=alpha.

My guess is that I need to change something with the testval = .70
command; however, when I try =< or < in place of = I get this error
message:

Unexpected type of symbol - skipping to next keyword.

This command is not executed.

I am using SPSS 14.

Thanks for considering my question.

nick myers