ANOVA with Optimal Scaling technique and unequality of variance

ANOVA with Optimal Scaling technique and unequality of variance

Sebastien-6
Hi, I'm a PhD student in Ecology. I've got experiments that follow a two-
way ANOVA design. My variances are unequal even after classic
transformation (sqrt, Log). I would like to use ANOVA using the Optimal
Scaling technique available on SPSS. Does ANOVA with optimal scaling
require equal variances?
Thank you.
Sébastien.

Re: ANOVA with Optimal Scaling technique and unequality of variance

Kooij, A.J. van der
I guess you mean regression using optimal scaling (CATREG)? with nominal scaling level voor dependent variable this is ANOVA. No equal variances required.

Regards,
Anita van der Kooij
Data Theory Group
Leiden University

Re: ANOVA with Optimal Scaling technique and unequality of variance

Sebastien-6
Thank you for your answer. I've got some further questions:
1) Do you have any reference I can use to justify that equal variances is
not required?
2) Are there any assumptions behind optimal scaling?
3) What are the risks of type 1 and 2 errors with the optimal scaling
technique when the data have not equal variances?
It has been suggested to me to use Aligned Rank Transformation to study
interaction effect in a two-way ANOVA design, but it appeared that this
method is not suitable when variances are not equal, which is the case of
my data. That's why I'm looking for another method and I want to make sure
that this method can be used with confidence.
Sébastien.

ANOVA with Optimal Scaling technique and unequality of variance

Kooij, A.J. van der

Hi, I'm a PhD student in Ecology. I've got experiments that follow a two- way ANOVA design. My variances are unequal even after classic transformation (sqrt, Log). I would like to use ANOVA using the Optimal Scaling technique available on SPSS. Does ANOVA with optimal scaling require equal variances? Thank you. Sébastien.

the system manager.