An interesting way to show US Map

Art Kendall
There is a long-standing  problem that using maps to present information can
conflate area and population etc

It is a long time since I used MAPs in SPSS and long wondered whether
anybody had worked out cartograms for SPSS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartogram

I just came across a third way to map information.  In this approach, each
state has an equal area but the graphic still preserves some spatial
information. Has anybody worked out how to do this kind of map in SPSS?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-results-timing/

-----
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: An interesting way to show US Map

Andy W
I will see if I can whip up an example this weekend. All you need to do is
add in two variables into your dataset, an X coordinate and Y coordinate,
for the respective grid cell locations.

For this dataset then you would just use a scatterplot, and map the colors
and add the labels.

One cooler thing you can do though is if you have multilevel data is to make
subset graphs in the same grid using facets. Here is an example from one of
my papers, where the locations are NYPD precincts. (The map in the top right
though is edited in though, not 100% in SPSS.)

<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t329824/TileMap_withExtra.png>

-----
Andy W
[hidden email]
http://andrewpwheeler.wordpress.com/

Andy W
apwheele@gmail.com
http://andrewpwheeler.wordpress.com/

Re: An interesting way to show US Map

Art Kendall
I posted this example of data presentation via a tile map as a supplement to
choropleth maps, and cartograms. I would like to see most students take an
undergraduate course on something like "Quantitative Thinking in Social and
Policy Issues".  A major part of such a course would be to see that data
should be looked at in multiple ways.  Looking at data with spatial
considerations would include things like these three presentations.

As a philosophy undergraduate major "How to Lie with Statistics" was very
influential in how I thought about basic graphs.  I believe that
presentation of this level of numeracy is absent from many stat and methods
courses.

-----