Automatic interaction detection (UNCLASSIFIED)

Automatic interaction detection (UNCLASSIFIED)

Williams, Eric ARI
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Does anyone know if SPSS has an automatic interaction detection function? If
not, and anyone recommend good software that does such?

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Re: Automatic interaction detection (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thompson, Carol
Eric,

CHAID functionality is available in the SPSS Answer Tree along with
several other data mining type options.  Answer Tree is a separate
package from SPSS Base (at least when I used it a couple of years ago),
but it does use SPSS ".sav" files.

One link with more information on Answer Tree is:
http://www.spss.com/answertree/

Hope this helps.

Carol

Carol B. Thompson
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
General Dynamics Information Technology
181 N. Arroyo Grande Blvd, Ste 105
Henderson, NV  89074-1624
Ph: (702) 731-5550 x 111
Fax: (702) 731-4027

Does anyone know if SPSS has an automatic interaction detection
function? If not, and anyone recommend good software that does such?

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Re: Automatic interaction detection (UNCLASSIFIED)

John McConnell
 Eric

 SPSS offers CHAID (Chi-Squared Automatic Interaction Detection) in their Classification Trees module and in the standalone Answer Tree product.

 The CHAID algorithm come from a group of techniques which are often termed "Decision Tree", or "Recursive Partitioning" and you will find other algorithms of this type in the products mentioned ... and in SPSS Clementine.

 hth

 John
 John McConnell
 Applied Insights

From: "Williams, Eric ARI" <[hidden email]>
Date:          Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:06:17 -0400

>Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
>Does anyone know if SPSS has an automatic interaction detection function? If
>not, and anyone recommend good software that does such?
>
>Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE

Re: Automatic interaction detection

Anthony Babinec
SPSS has a Classification and Regression Tree module
that features several algorithms including
CHAID (CHi-square Automatic Interaction Detection).

Does anyone know if SPSS has an automatic interaction detection function? If
not, and anyone recommend good software that does such?

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Re: Automatic interaction detection

Valdiserri, Colin
How is Answer Tree different or better than the Classification &
Regression Tree Module?

Colin

SPSS has a Classification and Regression Tree module
that features several algorithms including
CHAID (CHi-square Automatic Interaction Detection).

Does anyone know if SPSS has an automatic interaction detection
function? If
not, and anyone recommend good software that does such?

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

This message was scanned for viruses prior to entering the Moen network

Re: Automatic interaction detection

Antro, Mark
Eric,

AnswerTree and Classification Trees run exactly the same algorithms. There is one real difference between the two, and that is AnswerTree allows you to interact with the tree growth, and use different variables to the ones that it has selected. In Classification Trees, you only have the option of forcing the choice for the first predictor variable.

Classification Trees has the benefit of allowing you to do all your data manipulation and analysis all within the same environment, whereas AnswerTree is solely an analysis package. Also in Classification Trees, once you have run your analysis, your can select groups of cases (nodes) directly from the Tree output, and select them immediately in the dataset set. (Both packages allow you do this through either SPSS syntax or SQL syntax).

There is a recorded webinar of Classification Trees from the 13/6 on the spss.com website.

Hht,
Antro.

Re: Automatic interaction detection

Jason Burke
If you want to develop a logistic regression model, with interactions,
quickly -- it is an excellent pre-cursor.