Building complex tables

Kelly Sorensen
Hello All,

I've just joined this list, and am hoping someone can advise me on whether
or not what I want to do is even feasible while I wait for my SPSS help
books to arrive...I've not been able to determine this searching the
archives.

I am building tables that are fairly complex to include in a report. I
need to report frequency information for groups in two locations. I need
to report total results for each locale, as well as results broken down by
demographic information (sex, and race/ethnic group reported, but only for
African Americans, Hispanics, and Caucasians, though we have data for
additional groups as well). To further complicate things I need to report
data for overall dimension scores, the percentage of people who "passed"
the selection test, and for each item/s composing each dimension. I can do
this by building a table in word, or course, but it's tedious and
incredibly time-consuming. Is there a better way? I can get, say, results
for each locale for each gender in one table using crosstabs and layers,
but that is the closest I come.

Thanks!

Kelly

Re: Building complex tables

Keith McCormick
Hi Kelly,

For what you describe you really want the Custom Tables module.  Since
you appear to be at a university there is a good chance that you have
it as it is a very common module.  You can check by seeing if you can
access Analyze ... Tables ... Custom Tables.  There is no efficient
way to build elaborate tables with Crosstabs because Crosstabs is
primarily there to run stats like Pearson Chi-Sq.

HTH

Keith
keithmccormick.com