CTABLES - row width

Ron0z
Can anyone advise on how the row width can be increased in ctables?

I can find instructions on how to change column width but not row width
(Options>Width for Data Columns>Custom). When I changed column width I saw
the syntax include MINCOLWIDTH  and MAXCOLWIDTH. So, I tried editing the
syntax to MIN*ROW*WIDTH  MAX*ROW*WIDTH . It was just a guess.  It didn’t
work, but interestingly there were no errors reported by my invented syntax.

I’d appreciate any help on increasing row width.

Re: CTABLES - row width

Jon Peck
I suppose you mean the height of the rows.  That is driven by the font size, which you can set via a tableLook or via the pivot table editor.  You might also consider changing the border properties of the cells

If you want stripes to demarcate rows, you can do that with MODIFY TABLES.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 3:33 PM Ron0z <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can anyone advise on how the row width can be increased in ctables?

I can find instructions on how to change column width but not row width
(Options>Width for Data Columns>Custom). When I changed column width I saw
the syntax include MINCOLWIDTH  and MAXCOLWIDTH. So, I tried editing the
syntax to MIN*ROW*WIDTH  MAX*ROW*WIDTH . It was just a guess.  It didn’t
work, but interestingly there were no errors reported by my invented syntax.

I’d appreciate any help on increasing row width.

Jon K Peck

Re: CTABLES - row width

Ron0z
If I double-click on the table I can expand the space allocated for the row.
While that’s not difficult I wondered that there might be a subcommand that
could control what I have termed row width, and so prevent the text from
wrapping. Then I wouldn't have to keep doing it all the time. For example:
SPSS_question.docx
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t340795/SPSS_question.docx>

Re: CTABLES - row width

Ron0z
let me try that again...
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t340795/Capture.jpg>

Re: CTABLES - row width

Jon Peck
This is actually an interesting problem and something that would be generally useful.  Thinking it over, I can easily write a custom function for MODIFY TABLES that will figure out the size of the label strings in the chosen font and size and adjust the label width to accommodate that with a little bit of extra white space.  This would be based on the size on screen, so if printing, the width might be slightly different, but that could be accounted for in the white space size.

Let me know if you want to try this.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 5:29 PM Jon Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is no way to size the row label to the minimum that would prevent wrapping, but you can set an ample minimum size for the row labels in the tableLook.  MODIFY TABLES with a custom function could get this approximately right.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 5:21 PM Ron0z <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I double-click on the table I can expand the space allocated for the row.
While that’s not difficult I wondered that there might be a subcommand that
could control what I have termed row width, and so prevent the text from
wrapping. Then I wouldn't have to keep doing it all the time. For example:
SPSS_question.docx
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t340795/SPSS_question.docx

Jon K Peck

Jon K Peck

Re: CTABLES - row width

ChrisKeran
Hi Jon,

I just came across this offer you made a couple years ago and wondering if
this is still something you could do? While minimizing the rowlabelwidth
would be helpful, minimizing each data column width to the shortest width
possible (including width of columnlabels) would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: CTABLES - row width

PRogman
I think it would be really useful to be able to set column width  either to a
specific value or minimum. If the targeted cell is a column or row label
that would set the width, if it is a data cell, the cell value would be the
measurement (and a longer column label would wrap).
I am very fond of the Modify Table Appearance, but it is not easily handled.
As I am often generating lots of reports it helps if output is optimized to
minimize postexport editing.
Further, the debugging option to print labels could perhaps be explained...

PR

Jon Peck wrote
> I think this is possible, but do you mean to just size the column labels
> the minimum data width?  Since they would normally be wrapped, taking the
> whole label into account as a single string of text might not be useful.
> IOW, just base the width on what is required for the data values.

Re: CTABLES - row width

Jon Peck
You can set a static column width with a table look, but it applies to the whole table.  You can set a width for a specific column to a known value, but only with scripting.
I see how to do this dynamically for selected columns and will work out a custom function for use with MODIFY TABLES.  I know MODIFY TABLES isn't the easiest
command to use, but, believe me, it was a lot harder to write it.  What I have in mind will account for font family, size, and style (bold, italic, etc) plus some padding
and an expansion factor for different devices.  This will all depend on how accurate the text measuring code is.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 5:08 PM PRogman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think it would be really useful to be able to set column width  either to a
specific value or minimum. If the targeted cell is a column or row label
that would set the width, if it is a data cell, the cell value would be the
measurement (and a longer column label would wrap).
I am very fond of the Modify Table Appearance, but it is not easily handled.
As I am often generating lots of reports it helps if output is optimized to
minimize postexport editing.
Further, the debugging option to print labels could perhaps be explained...

PR

Jon Peck wrote
> I think this is possible, but do you mean to just size the column labels
> the minimum data width?  Since they would normally be wrapped, taking the
> whole label into account as a single string of text might not be useful.
> IOW, just base the width on what is required for the data values.

Re: CTABLES - row width

ChrisKeran
This would be fantastic, Jon, especially when I export the output window to
.pdf. However, when I export to Word (.doc), the column widths expand and so
do the row heights, even when using WIDETABLES=ASIS.