Color in Graph

Siraj Ur-rehman
Dear Experts

I am running this syntax for the graph and in the TEMPLATE file I saved
the format which I wanted for my graph including colors for four bars.

GRAPH
  /BAR(GROUPED)=VALUE( Q42005 Q12006 Q22006 Q32006 ) BY Attribute
  /TEMPLATE='C:\Program Files\SPSS\Delight Template.sgt'.
exe.

The only thing I am missing is the COLOR, all other options are coming
according to my file. When I run this syntax again then default color
appears from SPSS. Please let me know if I am missing anything? Thanks

Siraj

Re: Color in Graph

Keith McCormick
Hi Siraj,

I don't know what version you are using.  I don't know if this advice
will help in versions much earlier than 14.0.  When you save the
template you are asked to "please select the settings that you want to
save in the template".  Color (which is a "fill and border style") is
found under "non data element styles" and is not selected by default.
If you check this off before saving the template you should be fine.
You can chose what is part of the template and what is not.  I double
checked it both ways, and it did not save the color when on defaults,
and did save the color when non data elements was on.

By the way, I have become pretty enthusiastic about GPL (graphing
production language) as of late, which arrived in 14.0 and promises to
be even more powerful in the future.  It can be pasted from chart
builder.  It is super easy to chose any color from there, and you have
complete control over many other aesthetics as well.

Good luck.

Keith
keithmccormick.com

On 7/6/06, Siraj Ur-rehman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Experts
>
> I am running this syntax for the graph and in the TEMPLATE file I saved
> the format which I wanted for my graph including colors for four bars.
>
> GRAPH
>  /BAR(GROUPED)=VALUE( Q42005 Q12006 Q22006 Q32006 ) BY Attribute
>  /TEMPLATE='C:\Program Files\SPSS\Delight Template.sgt'.
> exe.
>
> The only thing I am missing is the COLOR, all other options are coming
> according to my file. When I run this syntax again then default color
> appears from SPSS. Please let me know if I am missing anything? Thanks
>
> Siraj

Re: Color in Graph

Siraj Ur-rehman
Hi Keith
I am using SPSS 12 and I think I don't have "non data element styles"
option in 12. But I figured it out by editing my template file manually
with the right color code. Thanks a lot for you help.

Siraj

I don't know what version you are using.  I don't know if this advice
will help in versions much earlier than 14.0.  When you save the
template you are asked to "please select the settings that you want to
save in the template".  Color (which is a "fill and border style") is
found under "non data element styles" and is not selected by default.
If you check this off before saving the template you should be fine.
You can chose what is part of the template and what is not.  I double
checked it both ways, and it did not save the color when on defaults,
and did save the color when non data elements was on.

By the way, I have become pretty enthusiastic about GPL (graphing
production language) as of late, which arrived in 14.0 and promises to
be even more powerful in the future.  It can be pasted from chart
builder.  It is super easy to chose any color from there, and you have
complete control over many other aesthetics as well.

Good luck.

Keith
keithmccormick.com

On 7/6/06, Siraj Ur-rehman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Experts
>
> I am running this syntax for the graph and in the TEMPLATE file I
> saved the format which I wanted for my graph including colors for four
bars.

> GRAPH
>  /BAR(GROUPED)=VALUE( Q42005 Q12006 Q22006 Q32006 ) BY Attribute
> /TEMPLATE='C:\Program Files\SPSS\Delight Template.sgt'.
> exe.
>
> The only thing I am missing is the COLOR, all other options are coming

> according to my file. When I run this syntax again then default color
> appears from SPSS. Please let me know if I am missing anything? Thanks
>
> Siraj

Re: Color in Graph

Siraj Ur-rehman
Hi There
Can I save my graphs by syntax, I mean instead of saving manually in a
particular format?

Thanks

Siraj

I don't know what version you are using.  I don't know if this advice
will help in versions much earlier than 14.0.  When you save the
template you are asked to "please select the settings that you want to
save in the template".  Color (which is a "fill and border style") is
found under "non data element styles" and is not selected by default.
If you check this off before saving the template you should be fine.
You can chose what is part of the template and what is not.  I double
checked it both ways, and it did not save the color when on defaults,
and did save the color when non data elements was on.

By the way, I have become pretty enthusiastic about GPL (graphing
production language) as of late, which arrived in 14.0 and promises to
be even more powerful in the future.  It can be pasted from chart
builder.  It is super easy to chose any color from there, and you have
complete control over many other aesthetics as well.

Good luck.

Keith
keithmccormick.com

On 7/6/06, Siraj Ur-rehman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Experts
>
> I am running this syntax for the graph and in the TEMPLATE file I
> saved the format which I wanted for my graph including colors for four
bars.

> GRAPH
>  /BAR(GROUPED)=VALUE( Q42005 Q12006 Q22006 Q32006 ) BY Attribute
> /TEMPLATE='C:\Program Files\SPSS\Delight Template.sgt'.
> exe.
>
> The only thing I am missing is the COLOR, all other options are coming

> according to my file. When I run this syntax again then default color
> appears from SPSS. Please let me know if I am missing anything? Thanks
>
> Siraj

Re: Color in Graph

Keith McCormick
Hi Siraj,

At the time, I knew 12.0 better than now.  The SET command has always
allowed you to change the default template being used, so creative use
of SET and GRAPH together should help.

Again, when the time comes and you are using 14.0+ GPL is really great
and allows you to control virtually everything that you would wish to,
and all with code.

Good luck.

Keith