Creating custom attributes for "filter sets" Newbie type question

Creating custom attributes for "filter sets" Newbie type question

Art Kendall
Although I have been using SPSS since 1972, I am a newbie wrt custom
attributes I am wondering what the expereince of list memers has been about
custom attributes.

I have a custom attribute MR.Set for which multtiple response set a variable
belongs to. It looks ok so far.

I am considering creating (a) custom attribute(s) to define * filter sets.*
The idea behind this is that there is a known reason for the missing value
in other variable when a previous variable has a known answer.

For example, OwnCar "Do your own a car?" could be a* filter* variable
*Fltered* questions might be Make, Model, Year, etc.  when there is a blank
answer for  Make, Model, Year, etc.  a missing value with label of
"legitimate skip" could be assigned if the answer to the filter question is
"no".  Other blanks would be assigned a missing value with a label of
"missing for unknown reason".

One approach is general
FilterING variable. Explains missing values in other variables
FilterED variable. Missing values explained by other variable?

A second approach gives more detail about each set
2 custom attributes
"filter for" with entries like "Make, Model, Year, etc." and "filterED by"
with entries like "OwnCar"

A third approach would have 2 custom attributes.
Fliter.Set  with a name for the set like "Car Ownership"
Filter.Role with entries like "filter for  Make, Model, Year, etc."
"FiltererED by OwnCar"

-----
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: Creating custom attributes for "filter sets" Newbie type question

spss.giesel@yahoo.de
Another idea: You could use an attribute "tabletype"
to indicate a strategy for how to report the results of a variable.
Something like

a) T01 = Frequencies only
b) T02 = Frequencies + Top 2 Box
c) T03 = Frequencies + Low 2 Box
d) T04 = Frequencies + Mean
e) T05 = None

Mario Giesel
Munich, Germany
---

Am Samstag, 17. Oktober 2020, 17:42:26 MESZ hat Art Kendall <[hidden email]> Folgendes geschrieben:

[...]

I did create a custom attribute called Var.Grouping  for what you called area
with entries like "case tracing for followup" "Demographic", "sanitation",
"Nutrition", "Hygiene"

and I'll look into specifying how to report.  It might work in this
situation.

In clinical trials and other experimental and quasi-experimental research,
ther is a growing pressure to specify analysis methods before proposal are
approved.

-----

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: Creating custom attributes for "filter sets" Newbie type question

Art Kendall
SOAPBOX on.
The tangled messy data set I received shows  why people wanting to do
research in social and behavioral science areas should seek guidance from
people with backgrounds and experience in the data science end of social and
behavioral science. Humanitarian NGOs can seek volunteers from Universities,
Statistics Without Borders, or others.  Human Rights NGOs can seek
volunteers from the AAAS On-Call Scientists, Universities, Statistics
Without Borders, or others.
SOAPBOX off.

The reasons I want to document filter/gating variables include
1) the NGO  people who work with the data in the future may not have SPSS
available.  They would need information that documents what is in the .SAV
and XLSX versions.
2) if the NGO gathers more data in future the more complete data definition
would help them in the design of data-gathering instuments.
"NA" or "Not applicable" would be more explicit "legitimate skips".
3) clarifying reasons for missing data to help substantive interpretation.
4) to aid me in figuring out whether I can create internal SPSS data
validation rules.
5) If I can minimize unexlained missing data, there is a possibility that
something meaningful can be done with the data.

The received data has vast amounts of missing data. Zero's for numeric and
blank for strings.
Zeros start off labelled as "possibly ambiguous zero".  Why is a person' age
coded zero?

After autorecode, the string variables with blank are labelled -1 "missing
for unknown reason".

The goal of figuring out which variables are filter variables is to aid in
changing some zeros or -1's to
to things like "NA legitimate skip" "all HH this city are missing"  "data
entry or field error".
Some -1 missing values in Multiple Response can be "cured" by something
like"no mentions in MR set" or "ran out of mentions"

Cases with anomolus values or  "data entry or field error" for example may
be  reasons to see which interviewer is having difficulties with the task or
the language of teh NGO's clients.

-----

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: Creating custom attributes for "filter sets" Newbie type question

Art Kendall
After discussions and consideration, I decided to go with 2 attributes.

The first attribute I'll call Filter.Set  The entry for a variable would
have contents that reflect meaning like "OwnCar"  "OwnHouse"
The second attribute would have values like '1' for the filtering variable
and 2, 3 etc for order in the set
The Filter.Sets contain small numbers of variables so the name of the set
should carry enough information.

Then I would rely on the SORT in SPSS being stable. Some syntax might look
like this
SORT VARIABLES BY ATTRIBUTE Var.Grouping.
SORT VARIABLES BY ATTRIBUTE MR.Set.
SORT VARIABLES BY ATTRIBUTE Filter.Set.
SORT VARIABLES BY ATTRIBUTE Filter.Order.

-----