Custom Tables - Suppressing Rows based on a condition

Custom Tables - Suppressing Rows based on a condition

Schwarzerzander
When using Custom tables in SPSS, I cannot hide small counts when using a subcategory as a break variable. i tried to use the censor table option in spss, but it doesnt suppress the rows, i am probably using the wrong instructions.  another option would be to use modify table. but the same outcome, it doesnt do anything

i would like to suppress all the rows where the cell shows a value less than 100 in column 4.

Thank you very much for your help.

Steve

Re: Custom Tables - Suppressing Rows based on a condition

Jon K Peck
I only see three columns in your table image, but leaving that aside, HIDESMALLCOUNTS applies to individual cells, not entire rows.
You can do this, however, using the SPSSINC CENSOR TABLE extension command.  Here is an example using the employee data.sav file shipped with Statistics.  All the syntax was pasted from the dialogs.

CTABLES
  /VLABELS VARIABLES=jobcat salary DISPLAY=DEFAULT
  /TABLE jobcat BY salary [MEAN, COUNT F40.0]
  /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=jobcat ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=INCLUDE MISSING=EXCLUDE.

SPSSINC CENSOR TABLES
CRITLABEL="Count" TESTTYPE="<" CRITVALUE=30
DIRECTION=ROW NEIGHBORS=0 -1
SUBTYPE="custom table"
/OPTIONS APPENDCAPTION=YES CONDITIONALCAPTION=YES
SYMBOL="---".

It does not remove the row, but it replaces all the cell statistics with ---.

Jon Peck (no "h") aka Kim
Senior Software Engineer, IBM
[hidden email]
phone: 720-342-5621

From:        Schwarzerzander <[hidden email]>
To:        [hidden email]
Date:        09/22/2014 07:03 PM
Subject:        [SPSSX-L] Custom Tables - Suppressing Rows based on a condition
Sent by:        "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <[hidden email]>

 <
http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/n5727353/ct.jpg>

Thank you very much for your help.

Steve

Re: Custom Tables - Suppressing Rows based on a condition

Schwarzerzander
Jon,
thank you very much for your reply and the suggestion you made. I really appreciate your help. What i really need  to do is to hide the whole row from this little example. I am sure there is a way to solve this in the SPSS output using the censor module. In case there is no way, i will just do this in excel, because i already developed a couple of macros to export and modify these kind of things in excel.

I was just hoping that there is a way to solve this in SPSS.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Custom Tables - Suppressing Rows based on a condition

Schwarzerzander
Thanks Jon, based on your example i managed to get what i wanted. There are two more issues with that. Why cant i use the syntax  /SLABELS POSITION=COLUMN VISIBLE=NO with the censor table option, and, is there a way to apply the censor table to all the custom tables produced in an output. The reason for the latter question, i am using a SPSS Macro to produce a series of CTables and would like to censor all the tables i produced with the MAcro,

Thank you very much for your help
Steve

Re: Custom Tables - Suppressing Rows based on a condition

ChrisKeran
Hi Jon,

I tried your example using the Employee.sav file and the SPSSINC CENSOR
TABLES doesn't make any changes. Thoughts?
FYI, I tried changing the DIRECTION=COLUMN or NEIGHBORS=-1 and that had no
effect.

CTABLES
  /VLABELS VARIABLES=jobcat salary DISPLAY=DEFAULT
  /TABLE jobcat BY salary [MEAN, COUNT F40.0]
  /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=jobcat ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=INCLUDE
MISSING=EXCLUDE.

SPSSINC CENSOR TABLES
CRITLABEL="Count" TESTTYPE="<" CRITVALUE=30
DIRECTION=ROW NEIGHBORS=0 -1
SUBTYPE="custom table"
/OPTIONS APPENDCAPTION=YES CONDITIONALCAPTION=YES
SYMBOL="---".

Re: Custom Tables - Suppressing Rows based on a condition

Jon Peck
I was very annoyed about this.  When Development converted this to Python 3, they broke the command so that it would hardly ever
censor a value.  They obviously didn't test the conversion.  I heard about this from a user and fixed the command, but it took a long
time to get it posted on the Extension Hub.

It is there now - version 2.0.1, so reinstall it from the Extension Hub, and you should be good to go.

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 9:31 AM ChrisKeran <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jon,

I tried your example using the Employee.sav file and the SPSSINC CENSOR
TABLES doesn't make any changes. Thoughts?
FYI, I tried changing the DIRECTION=COLUMN or NEIGHBORS=-1 and that had no
effect.

CTABLES
  /VLABELS VARIABLES=jobcat salary DISPLAY=DEFAULT
  /TABLE jobcat BY salary [MEAN, COUNT F40.0]
  /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=jobcat ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=INCLUDE
MISSING=EXCLUDE.

SPSSINC CENSOR TABLES
CRITLABEL="Count" TESTTYPE="<" CRITVALUE=30
DIRECTION=ROW NEIGHBORS=0 -1
SUBTYPE="custom table"
/OPTIONS APPENDCAPTION=YES CONDITIONALCAPTION=YES
SYMBOL="---".

Jon K Peck

Re: Custom Tables - Suppressing Rows based on a condition

ChrisKeran
Ah, that was it, thanks (just needed to update to the 2.0.1 version).