How to eliminate autoreplies when responding to listserve

How to eliminate autoreplies when responding to listserve

Dennis Deck
I suspect some of you who respond frequently to the listserve have
adopted a strategy for screening or blocking all the various "out of the
office" autoreplies from folks out of the office (especially this time
of year).  I checked the listserve registration options and do not see
an obvious way to do this at that level.

Dennis Deck, PhD
RMC Research Corporation
111 SW Columbia Street, Suite 1200
Portland, Oregon 97201-5843
voice: 503-223-8248 x715
voice: 800-788-1887 x715
fax:  503-223-8248

Re: How to eliminate autoreplies when responding to listserve

Hector Maletta
It has been discussed before. There is apparently no way to do it, except by
your own blocking devices for your own mail. However, when you try you find
out that most of these out-of-office automatic responses do not make any
reference to SPSSX-L, so any rule to block them would block also other
out-of-office messages that you may be interested in receiving. If anybody
has a fix for this quandary please share.

Hector

fax:  503-223-8248

Re: How to eliminate autoreplies when responding to listserve

Dennis Deck
Thanks.  That's what I feared but was worth asking.

A couple thoughts:

 a) Recommend that users switch to one of the digest formats (I believe
the auto replies would then be addressed to and screened by the
listserve rather than you). The payoff to the user is that instead of
20+ SPSS messages a day you get one.

 b) Create a couple workstation email rules (if supported by your mail
software) to detect and move auto-replies to a special folder (or to
your Spam folder) for periodic review.  As you suggest, I see no easy
way to distinguish listserve auto replies from client auto replies.

Dennis Deck, PhD
RMC Research Corporation
[hidden email]

fax:  503-223-8248

Re: How to eliminate autoreplies when responding to listserve

Richard Ristow
At 10:13 PM 7/17/2006, Dennis Deck had asked:

At 11:02 PM 7/17/2006, Hector Maletta wrote:

>It has been discussed before.

Yes; extensively, in thread "auto-replys?", begun Wed, 14 Dec 2005
10:58:45 -0500.

>There is apparently no way to do it, except by your own blocking
>devices for your own mail.

 From the thread cited (my posting, Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:32:31 -0500)

>>The Listserv software can't control what users do. About the only
>>thing possible is changing the "Reply-to:" address on distributed
>>postings; presently, it's the poster's address, and that's where most
>>"Out of office" messages go. I find the current setting makes it
>>easier to reply, though.

So, the best solution known seems to be what Dennis Deck recommended:

>b) Create a couple workstation email rules to detect and move
>auto-replies to a special folder for periodic review.  As you suggest,
>I see no easy way to distinguish listserve auto replies from client
>auto replies.

(Wry grin.) I've added such rules as new forms of "out of office"
message come in. I've got 29. Will share, on request.