Multiple comments within a procedure

Art Kendall
I may be getting my packages/languages mixed up.
I thought comments could be embedded within a command.
[My workaround was to follow my usual habit of just having a long in-line
set of comments.

* age is not true zero meaning under 1 year if other variables say
illogical.
If  (Range(Education, 2,9)) OR /* has some education */
    (Literacy EQ 3) OR         /* is literate */
    (Employ.Perm EQ 3) OR      /* is permanently employed */
    (ANY(Role, 2,3,4,5,6)) OR  /* has role in survey */
    (NOT Any (Occupation, -24,1,16,45)) OR /* has an occupation */
    (Any (Relation.Head.HH,2,3,6,8,9,12))  /* relation to Head of HH  cannot
be an infant */
    NotAgeZero =1.

-----
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: Multiple comments within a procedure

Jeff A
I was ready to say that this was SAS syntax, but it works. ...didn't know
you could do that in SPSS.

Jeff

Re: Multiple comments within a procedure

Bruce Weaver
Hi Art.  I have sometimes used scratch variables for tasks like that.  Good
variable names pretty much take the place of comments.

COMPUTE #HasSomeEduc   = Range(Education, 2,9).
COMPUTE #IsLiterate    = Literacy EQ 3.
COMPUTE #PermEmploy    = Employ.Perm EQ 3.
COMPUTE #HasRoleInSvy  = ANY(Role, 2,3,4,5,6).
COMPUTE #HasOccup      = NOT ANY(Occupation, -24,1,16,45).
COMPUTE #NotInfant     = ANY (Relation.Head.HH,2,3,6,8,9,12).
COMPUTE NotAgeZero     = ANY(
 #HasSomeEduc, #IsLiterate, #PermEmploy,
 #HasRoleInSvy, #HasOccup, #NotInfant).
FORMATS NotAgeZero (F1).
FREQUENCIES NotAgeZero.

Art Kendall wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: Multiple comments within a procedure

Jon Peck
From the CSR

Syntax Rules
• The first line of a comment can begin with the keyword COMMENT or with an asterisk (*). Comment text
can extend for multiple lines and can contain any characters.
• Use /* and */ to set off a comment within a command. The comment can be placed wherever a blank
is valid (except within strings) and should be preceded by a blank. Comments within a command cannot
be continued onto the next line.
• The closing */ is optional when the comment is at the end of the line. The command can continue onto
the next line just as if the inserted comment was a blank.
• Comments cannot be inserted within data lines.
• A comment on a separate line by itself within a command will cause an error. The comment line will be
interpreted as a blank line, which is interpreted as a command terminator.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 1:24 PM Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:
I may be getting my packages/languages mixed up.
I thought comments could be embedded within a command.
[My workaround was to follow my usual habit of just having a long in-line
set of comments.

* age is not true zero meaning under 1 year if other variables say
illogical.
If  (Range(Education, 2,9)) OR /* has some education */
    (Literacy EQ 3) OR         /* is literate */
    (Employ.Perm EQ 3) OR      /* is permanently employed */
    (ANY(Role, 2,3,4,5,6)) OR  /* has role in survey */
    (NOT Any (Occupation, -24,1,16,45)) OR /* has an occupation */
    (Any (Relation.Head.HH,2,3,6,8,9,12))  /* relation to Head of HH  cannot
be an infant */
    NotAgeZero =1.

-----
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Jon K Peck

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: Multiple comments within a procedure

Art Kendall
In the actual syntax window, that next to last line about Relation.Head.HH
did not wrap.

I THOUGHT the snippet did not work because {OR, EQ, NOT}  after the first OR
did not change colors.
I did not try to run the syntax, because when I re-read it all the rest of
the test was black.
So the syntax did work.  The coloring did not.

-----