New Extension Command for Text Analysis in SPSS Statistics

New Extension Command for Text Analysis in SPSS Statistics

Jon Peck
I have been working on a new extension command for text analysis with SPSS Statistics.  This command is intended for survey data where there might be "other" categories on questions and open-ended questions in general.

It has the following main functions that can be used independently.
- spell checking (five languages)
- word frequencies (words, bigrams, and trigrams)
- sentiment analysis (negative, neutral, positive and compound)
- word(s) search

This is fairly complicated, so I want to post it as a beta for a bit before submitting it to
the Extension Hub.  You can download it from here:
and install it using Extensions > Install Local Extension Bundle.

It has traditional SPSS-style syntax and a dialog box that appears on the Extension Menu.

The procedure needs Statistics version 27 because it is implemented in Python version 3.8.  In addition to the procedure itself, it is necessary to install some other modules and in some cases a separate Python installation.  See the installation instructions via the Help button in the dialog or the syntax help.

Please report any problems or comments to me at [hidden email].  I may refresh the posted version from time to time.

I hope you find this useful.
--
Jon K Peck