OT experiences getting SPSS for agencies and NGOs with small or tiny budgets

OT experiences getting SPSS for agencies and NGOs with small or tiny budgets

Art Kendall
What experiences have list members had a getting SPSS for individuals and
groups with little or no budget. The need for SPSS in these situations is
usually sporadic.

There are individuals who like myself do pro bono work after retirement, but
who  unlike myself did not purchase lifetime access to SPSS decades ago.
This includes some members of this list. Under IBM, SPSS no longer offers
this.

There are academic departments with say a single psychologist, education
researcher, or nursing researcher, etc.

There are humanitarian and human-rights organizations who have tight budgets
and small salaries and rely heavily on volunteers.

There are humanitarian and human-rights organizations who budget small
salaries for a few people but have hundreds of volunteers.

Suggestions, experiences, etc?

-----
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: OT experiences getting SPSS for agencies and NGOs with small or tiny budgets

bdates
Art,

I'm doing the same, using some of my time for pro bono. I've had success in two areas. First, in the case of small academic departments, SPSS is available for an annual price of $277.00 per year. It has all the bells and whistles except AMOS, I think. So far, that hasn't broken the bank. I also know of two very small departments that have student interns. The interns qualify for the Grad Pack, about $60/year for base, $70 for the intermediate, and $80 for premium. They install it on one server, and sign up to use it.

That's pretty much the same for the non-profits with which I work. One group of non-profits which are really grass roots share space. They have one version of Base, which is all they need. There are 8 non-profits that share the cost and maintain it until SPSS stops supporting a version; then they update. That's kind of an unusual situation; but I've actually put non-profits together in a data analysis collaborative in two separate occasions. They do the same thing, share a single installation at one of their sites. In the collaborative approach, they do only use it sporadically; so they just sign up. All the data they use is de-identified. So they're good.

There are also a couple of organizations with which I work that I've helped get JASP and/or PSPP. PSPP does have some of the data restructuring that SPSS has.  They're both open source. I know this doesn't address SPSS, but it has addressed the need at the organizations. It does bring up an important point. Would SPSS ever consider a reduced price for a 501(c)(3)?

HTH. Cheers!

Brian

--
Sent from: https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fspssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cbdates%40SWSOL.ORG%7C02bccec4f6cf48a03dfc08d8bee9972d%7Cecdd61640dbd4227b0986de8e52525ca%7C0%7C0%7C637469257784618008%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=4bclnPvSGz4g8bp9b%2FFhW0X7OsKg%2FRIr8wSyI%2FARlO4%3D&amp;reserved=0