Opening excel file

Jamison, Cheryl S

Hi  List—

   I am using SPSS V17 for the first time, and am trying to  open an .xlsx excel file (which should be ok).  I get the following error:  “Error starting the virtual Java machine, unable to open file..”  (and it gives the filename).   Does anyone have any suggestions?  I tried saving it as an older Excel file, but that didn’t help.

     Thanks—

        Cher

Re: Opening excel file

mpirritano

Two things:

  1. If the file was open in excel when you tried to open it in spss it won’t work. You need to close the excel file first.
  2. Or is the excel file password protected. If so you need to get rid of the password and then close the excel file and open in spss.

Matthew Pirritano, Ph.D.

Research Analyst IV

Medical Services Initiative (MSI)

Orange County Health Care Agency

(714) 568-5648

   I am using SPSS V17 for the first time, and am trying to  open an .xlsx excel file (which should be ok).  I get the following error:  “Error starting the virtual Java machine, unable to open file..”  (and it gives the filename).   Does anyone have any suggestions?  I tried saving it as an older Excel file, but that didn’t help.

     Thanks—

        Cher

Re: Opening excel file

SPSS Support

Hi Cheryl,

  Which exact version of Statistics are you running? See Help->About to check. If it is 17.0 or 17.0.1, I’d suggest first installing the 17.0.2 patch from

http://support.spss.com  and then retrying to open the file.

Which steps were you using to open the file? (File->Open; File->Open Database, etc)?

Also, which operating system and version are you running?

The error message you encountered was reported in v 16, but should be fixed for .xlsx files (as opposed to .xlsm) in 17.0, as reported in the resolution below.

David Matheson

SPSS Statistical Support

***********************

Resolution number: 79284  Created on: Aug 22 2008  Last Reviewed on: Aug 18 2009
Problem Subject:  Error starting the Java Virtual Machine, unable to open file: <filename>

Problem Description:  I am trying to import files from Excel 2007 and I get the following error:

Error starting the Java Virtual Machine, unable to open file: <filename>

Can SPSS 16.0 import files from MS Excel 2007?

Resolution Subject: This problem will been corrected in SPSS Statistics 17.0.1. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Resolution Description
The file is most likely in *.xlsm format and thus contains macros.

The current workaround is to save the file to a non-macro enabled file (*.xlsx), then you will be able open the file.

This problem has been mostly corrected in SPSS Statistics 17.0. One aspect of the macro-enabled .xlsm was overlooked but will be corrected in SPSS Statistics 17.0.1. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Re: Opening excel file

Andrew Rudd
I'm getting the same error also, which is strange as I was able to open
a .xlsx the other day. It did work however when I saved it as a .xls
file. (Using the File-->Open command)

I'm running version 17.0.2, I'm just curious as to why one week it
worked and the next it doesn't...

Does any one else have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Andrew

>>> SPSS Support <[hidden email]> 19/08/2009 3:47 a.m. >>>

Hi Cheryl,

  Which exact version of Statistics are you running? See Help->About to check. If it is 17.0 or 17.0.1, I’d suggest first installing the 17.0.2 patch from

http://support.spss.com  and then retrying to open the file.

Which steps were you using to open the file? (File->Open; File->Open Database, etc)?

Also, which operating system and version are you running?

The error message you encountered was reported in v 16, but should be fixed for .xlsx files (as opposed to .xlsm) in 17.0, as reported in the resolution below.

David Matheson

SPSS Statistical Support

***********************

Resolution number: 79284  Created on: Aug 22 2008  Last Reviewed on: Aug 18 2009
Problem Subject:  Error starting the Java Virtual Machine, unable to open file: <filename>

Problem Description:  I am trying to import files from Excel 2007 and I get the following error:

Error starting the Java Virtual Machine, unable to open file: <filename>

Can SPSS 16.0 import files from MS Excel 2007?

Resolution Subject: This problem will been corrected in SPSS Statistics 17.0.1. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Resolution Description
The file is most likely in *.xlsm format and thus contains macros.

The current workaround is to save the file to a non-macro enabled file (*.xlsx), then you will be able open the file.

This problem has been mostly corrected in SPSS Statistics 17.0. One aspect of the macro-enabled .xlsm was overlooked but will be corrected in SPSS Statistics 17.0.1. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Re: Opening excel file

shankar

hello i am Usind SPSS 17.0v making huge time delay in delivering the outputs.
While exporting the information from SPSS to Excel we are getting error “Can’t recover contents”.
Also, the format of information in Excel is not coming properly even after trying multiple times.

Re: Opening excel file

shankar

hello i am Usind SPSS 17.0v making huge time delay in delivering the outputs.
While exporting the information from SPSS to Excel we are getting error “Can’t recover contents”.
Also, the format of information in Excel is not coming properly even after trying multiple times.

Re: Opening excel file

shankar

hello i am Usind SPSS 17.0v making huge time delay in delivering the outputs.
While exporting the information from SPSS to Excel we are getting error “Can’t recover contents”.
Also, the format of information in Excel is not coming properly even after trying multiple times.

Re: Opening excel file

karenbi
Thanks so much for this post. My issue was relating to password protected documents and this has saved me a great deal of time.

Re: Opening excel file

Saira2280
I am using SPSS V17.0 , and am trying to  open an .xlsx excel file.  I get
the following error:  “Error starting the virtual Java machine, unable to
open file..”  .   Does anyone have any suggestions?

SV: Opening excel file

Robert L
I have had the same problem, but that seemed to disappear when the Excel file first was opened and then resaved. This only has happened  with Excel files exported from another system, so it seems to be more of an Excel problem than something realted to SPSS.

Robert