Preserving color in examples of syntax when no SPSS is available

Preserving color in examples of syntax when no SPSS is available

Art Kendall
I have long advocated reducing the cognitive load in dealing with syntax. In
explaining SPSS to students and clients it would be helpful if syntax could
preserve color.

Output files do not retain the coloring of syntax.

RTF format is used by many programs, e.g., Word, WordPad, Word Perfect.

Wordpad_example.rtf
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t47554/Wordpad_example.rtf>

Coloring is preserved when "printed" in PDF format.

Wordpad_example_as_PDF.pdf
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t47554/Wordpad_example_as_PDF.pdf>

Has anybody found a way to share syntax examples that preserve color?
Screenshots are often large and just a few exceed limits for email.

Has anybody produced a handout documenting SPSS setting for syntax coloring?

-----
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: Preserving color in examples of syntax when no SPSS is available

Kirill Orlov
I've been suggesting to SPSS to 15 years that they ought to add some
formatting (at least bold and underscore) and save it with the .SPS file

26.03.2021 17:39, Art Kendall пишет:

> I have long advocated reducing the cognitive load in dealing with syntax. In
> explaining SPSS to students and clients it would be helpful if syntax could
> preserve color.
>
> Output files do not retain the coloring of syntax.
>
> RTF format is used by many programs, e.g., Word, WordPad, Word Perfect.
>
> Wordpad_example.rtf
> <http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t47554/Wordpad_example.rtf>
>
> Coloring is preserved when "printed" in PDF format.
>
> Wordpad_example_as_PDF.pdf
> <http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t47554/Wordpad_example_as_PDF.pdf>
>
> Has anybody found a way to share syntax examples that preserve color?
> Screenshots are often large and just a few exceed limits for email.
>
> Has anybody produced a handout documenting SPSS setting for syntax coloring?
>

> -----
> Art Kendall
> Social Research Consultants
> --
> Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

> INFO REFCARD

Re: Preserving color in examples of syntax when no SPSS is available

Jon Peck
It would be really cool to have something like this - html with a css stylesheet would be the obvious format, but it would be a bad idea to have formatting information mixed in with the syntax code.  The Syntax Editor colors the syntax, but that is limited to structural information.  There is no way for users to add specific formatting beyond the SE preference settings.  But an html export from the SE would cover a lot of use cases.

IDEs that color code such as are used for Python and other languages are still limited to the display within the IDE, which would still not meet Art's need.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 8:50 AM Kirill Orlov <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been suggesting to SPSS to 15 years that they ought to add some
formatting (at least bold and underscore) and save it with the .SPS file

26.03.2021 17:39, Art Kendall пишет:
> I have long advocated reducing the cognitive load in dealing with syntax. In
> explaining SPSS to students and clients it would be helpful if syntax could
> preserve color.
>
> Output files do not retain the coloring of syntax.
>
> RTF format is used by many programs, e.g., Word, WordPad, Word Perfect.
>
> Wordpad_example.rtf
> <http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t47554/Wordpad_example.rtf>
>
> Coloring is preserved when "printed" in PDF format.
>
> Wordpad_example_as_PDF.pdf
> <http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t47554/Wordpad_example_as_PDF.pdf>
>
> Has anybody found a way to share syntax examples that preserve color?
> Screenshots are often large and just a few exceed limits for email.
>
> Has anybody produced a handout documenting SPSS setting for syntax coloring?
>

> -----
> Art Kendall
> Social Research Consultants
> --