Problem saving to Excel via syntax vs. GUI

Problem saving to Excel via syntax vs. GUI

Alex Rasker
Dear List, SPSS,

I have recently encountered a strange problem working with SPSS. When I use
the GUI and save my data as a '>97' excel-file I have no problem using that
file as input for a subsequent mailmerge with Outlook. When I use the
standard SAVE TRANSLATE command with the nescessary subcommands to save my
data as a '>97' excel-file, the file seems somehow corrupt. I can open it in
Excel just fine but I can not use it in a mailmerge. Is this a common/well
known problem (for older versions) of SPSS?

Thanks,

Alex Rasker

Re: Problem saving to Excel via syntax vs. GUI

Oliver, Richard
Are you pasting the syntax from the GUI or writing it yourself? If the latter, try pasting it from the GUI instead.