Re: Can factors identified using factor analysis on a smaller dataset be used on larger dataset?

Re: Can factors identified using factor analysis on a smaller dataset be used on larger dataset?

Kooij, A.J. van der
You can do this using CATPCA if you have SPSS Categories. If you have
continuous variables you can
discretize them (by using CATPCA Discretization option multiply) and use
numerical scaling level.
Specify the unhealty persons as supplementary cases. These cases will
not be included in the analysis, but will be fitted into the factor
solution found for the healthy persons.
To examine relations between factors and demographic variables you
include the demographic variables in the CATPCA variable list, and in
the analysis variables list with Multiple Nominal scaling level, and
specify them as supplementary variables, then they are not included in
the PCA but are fitted into the found solution.
For relationships between the factors and demographic variables you can
inspect the loadings plot with centroids included (centroid points are
the points for the categories of the demographic variables). To examine
relations between persons and variables you can inspect the biplot
(including object(person) points and loadings) and the triplot
(including object(person) points, loadings and centroids).

Regards,
Anita van der Kooij
Data Theory Group
Leiden University

Re: Can factors identified using factor analysis on a smaller dataset be used on larger dataset?

Kooij, A.J. van der
Prof. Swank wrote: "The meaningfullness of the factor scores on the second
sample really depends on wether the factor structure is accurate for
that sample."

If you use CATPCA as described below, you can look at the component scores (object scores table, plot or saved) for the second sample (the supplementary cases) to see if they fit well in the factor structure for the healthy persons: if majority of the unhealthy persons are close to the origin, the factor structure found for the healthy persons is not
very accurate for the unhealthy persons.
To see how well supplementary variables fit in the factor structure you can look at the VAF table or at loadings including centroids plot: if the category points for a variable are close to the origin, the variable has little or no relation to the factor structure.

Regards,
Anita