Reading SPSS files outside of SPSS

Paul Marchant-2
I have a problem. I might lose access to SPSS in in few months’ time. I would like to still be able read SPSS files such as; .SPV to see their contents. I understand I can see the contents of a .SAV file by reading it into R. Syntax files, .SPS, can be read in Notepad or Word. However, I wonder if there are open access or cheap programs that can read, e.g.  .SPV files. I would welcome thoughts on this.
Thanks
Paul Marchant

Re: Reading SPSS files outside of SPSS

spss.giesel@yahoo.de
I once used PSPP as a *.sav file reader.
It is kind of Stonehenge-SPSS but might work with reading *.spv files as well.
Other possibility would be to convert your files into some readable format like *.pdf.

Mario Giesel
Munich, Germany

Am Sonntag, 10. Mai 2020, 03:32:38 MESZ hat Paul Marchant <[hidden email]> Folgendes geschrieben:

I have a problem. I might lose access to SPSS in in few months’ time. I would like to still be able read SPSS files such as; .SPV to see their contents. I understand I can see the contents of a .SAV file by reading it into R. Syntax files, .SPS, can be read in Notepad or Word. However, I wonder if there are open access or cheap programs that can read, e.g.  .SPV files. I would welcome thoughts on this.
Thanks
Paul Marchant

Re: Reading SPSS files outside of SPSS

Kornbrot, Diana
Nb exporting/saving .sav to excel is more efficient, as can then be deposited Open Science if you wish to share.
Best
Diana

On 6 May 2020, at 12:48, Paul Marchant <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have a problem. I might lose access to SPSS in in few months’ time. I would like to still be able read SPSS files such as; .SPV to see their contents. I understand I can see the contents of a .SAV file by reading it into R. Syntax files, .SPS, can be read in Notepad or Word. However, I wonder if there are open access or cheap programs that can read, e.g.  .SPV files. I would welcome thoughts on this.
Thanks
Paul Marchant

____________
University of Hertfordshire
College Lane, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 9AB, UK
+44 (0) 208 444 2081
+44 (0) 7403 18 16 12
[hidden email]
http://dianakornbrot.wordpress.com/
http://go.herts.ac.uk/Diana_Kornbrot/
skype:  kornbrotme
Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org
 __________________

Re: Reading SPSS files outside of SPSS

Anthony Babinec
Paul
Take a look at smartreader.

https://developer.ibm.com/predictiveanalytics/docs/spss-statistics/programmability/extensions-tools-and-utilities-for-spss-statistics/

Re: Reading SPSS files outside of SPSS

Jon Peck
Tony has pointed to the right tool for this.  With the reorganization of the online resources, that link is hard to find, but the SmartViewer is there.

p.s. Don't confuse the SmartViewer with the Legacy Viewer, which was provided for really old SPSS output files (spo).  That format wa used through SPSS version 15.

If you do have a big collection of spv files that you want to convert to pdf, html, Word, or whatever, that process could be automated with a little Python scripting

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Jon K Peck