SPSS 26: Is manual installation of Python Essentials possible

SPSS 26: Is manual installation of Python Essentials possible

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Greetings all.  I am in the middle of upgrading to SPSS 26, which is the
version available at my university this academic year.  For reasons I do not
comprehend, the IT folks have given us an installer file that omits the bit
allowing one to opt Yes or No for installing the Integration Plug-in for
Python.  As a result, the plug-in does not get installed, and I am unable to
install and use extension commands that use Python.  I have been trying to
get the IT folks to fix the installer, but am beginning to think it might be
quicker to manually install the Python Essentials myself--IF THAT IS
POSSIBLE!

Q.  Is it possible to install the Python Essentials for SPSS 26 manually?
If so, can someone direct me to the instructions?

FYI, I have manually installed Python 2.7.18 and 3.8.6rc1 (64-bit versions)
manually, and thought that I might be able to select their installation
folders via Edit > Options > File Locations.  But those areas of the dialog
are greyed out and inaccessible.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Bruce

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: SPSS 26: Is manual installation of Python Essentials possible

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
UPDATE:  After pestering one of the IT managers *again*, I was told that one
of his guys is working on a new installer that will include an option for
Python Essentials.  (Why our local IT folks need to work on an installer is
beyond me.  I should have thought that IBM would provide a functioning
installer.  But what do I know?)

Bruce Weaver wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: SPSS 26: Is manual installation of Python Essentials possible

Jon Peck
If they gave you a MsiExec file, you can set command line options and run it like this
siExec.exe /i "IBM SPSS Statistics 26.msi" /qn /L*v logfile.txt
INSTALLDIR="C:\Statistics" AUTHCODE="3241a2314b23c4d5f6ea" INSTALLPYTHON=1
The INSTALLPYTHON = 1 specifies to install the Essentials and Python 2.7 and 3.4.

There are other installation directives.  Get the push install doc from here

Caveat: I have never installed the product this way, so no guarantee.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 12:49 PM Bruce Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jon K Peck

Re: SPSS 26: Is manual installation of Python Essentials possible

Jon Peck
IBM does provide an installer.  I don't know why they would mess with it.  When I install V26, I run an executable called
SPSS_Statistics_26_win64.exe
and it prompts for all the usual things.

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Jon K Peck

Re: SPSS 26: Is manual installation of Python Essentials possible

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Thanks Jon.  That looks like what we used to get.  E.g., for v25, I got
SPSS_Statistics_25_win64.exe as the installer.  But this year, I'm getting
something called "SPSS v26 20-21.exe".  It does not prompt me to choose a
folder in which to install, nor does it ask if I want Python Essentials.  It
remains to be seen what the new & improved version will do!

I think I'll ask if the will just give me SPSS_Statistics_26_win64.exe.
Surely they must have it!

Jon Peck wrote

-----