SPSS for Machintosh- Juan Albertorio NCHS

SPSS for Machintosh- Juan Albertorio NCHS

Albertorio, Juan R. (CDC/CCHIS/NCHS)
Hello All!

I plan to invest in a new Mac laptop and I wonder if someone had used
before with SPSS and wants to share their experience with me.

The main question that I have are:

Have you found any problem?
If the Mac freeze with large dataset?
Speed and syntax use pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

Re: SPSS for Machintosh- Juan Albertorio NCHS

Jeffrey Berman
On 8/3/06 5:12 PM, "Albertorio, Juan R. (CDC/CCHIS/NCHS)" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I plan to invest in a new Mac laptop and I wonder if someone had used
> before with SPSS and wants to share their experience with me.
>
> The main question that I have are:
>
> Have you found any problem?
> If the Mac freeze with large dataset?
> Speed and syntax use pros and cons?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Juan:

No version of SPSS is currently certified to run on Intel-based Macs.  The
statement from SPSS reads as follows:

"SPSS does not support the use of any existing version of SPSS for Mac OS X
on the new Intel®-based Mac hardware. Some of the procedures result in
incorrect numerical calculations under the Rosetta emulation software,
rendering the results invalid. SPSS 13.0 for Mac OS X will prevent
installation onto Intel-based hardware.

The Intel-compatible version of SPSS for Mac OS X‹SPSS 15.0 for Mac OS
X‹will be released in the second quarter of 2007."

See:

http://www.spss.com/spss_mac/system_req.htm

-Jeffrey Berman

Re: SPSS for Machintosh- Juan Albertorio NCHS

D.R. Wahlgren

>Date:    Thu, 3 Aug 2006 17:12:36 -0400
>From:    "Albertorio, Juan R. (CDC/CCHIS/NCHS)" <[hidden email]>
>Subject: SPSS for Machintosh- Juan Albertorio NCHS
>
>Hello All!
>
>I plan to invest in a new Mac laptop and I wonder if someone had used
>before with SPSS and wants to share their experience with me.
>
>The main question that I have are:
>
>Have you found any problem?
>If the Mac freeze with large dataset?
>Speed and syntax use pros and cons?
>
>Thanks in advance.

I've been using v11 on various PPC Macs.  I haven't used it
intensively, but what I have used it for has run very well.  My chief
complaints with it are:

1) it has a very reliable error when opening data created in SPSS
DE-II (the old DOS data entry app, which created .SYS files).  It is
limited to 4-digit variables, but it is a severe bug and requires me
to open all such files in a Windows version of SPSS and saving as
.SAV files before opening them in SPSS for Mac.

2) The mighty mouse scroll ball does not work in v11.

3) I wish that get file commands did not require full file paths (I
think this is true of the Windows version too).  It makes it very
hard to use the same syntax files on multiple computers, especially
in the Mac world where the hard drive is often given a personalized
name (causing the filepath to differ).

That's all I can think of at the moment.  I can't speak to v12 or
v13--our site license program is a bit behind the times.

--

```````````''''''''''''
Dennis R. Wahlgren, M.A.

Center for Behavioral Epidemiology and Community Health
San Diego State University
http://www.cbeach.org

"Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars--mere
globs of gas atoms.  Nothing is 'mere.'  I too can see the stars on a
desert night, and feel them.  But do I see less or more?"
--Richard Feynman

Re: SPSS for Machintosh- Juan Albertorio NCHS

Gary Barnes
I have had no operational issues with my laptop. Speed has not been a
problem, I have a gig of memory. There is no other version except 11 so that
is what I use. I do use an external fire wire drive for my data sets. Gary

At 1:31 PM -0400 8/4/06, Gary Barnes wrote:
>I have had no operational issues with my laptop. Speed has not been a
>problem, I have a gig of memory. There is no other version except 11 so that
>is what I use. I do use an external fire wire drive for my data sets. Gary

The SPSS website shows version 13 for Mac:

http://www.spss.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=7158&CATID=3

--