SPSS v.27 64-bit and MS Access 32-bit?

ariel barak
Hi All,

I'm currently using a 32-bit installation of SPSS v.26 on a 64-bit Windows 10 Enterprise OS with 32-bit Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Acces, etc.). I'm interested in upgrading to v.27 but now understand that it's only available as a 64-bit application. While most of the data sources I use are either SQL Server databases or Excel files, I do query a few Access databases that are 32-bit. Due to compatibility issues etc., switching these over to 64-bit MS Access is not an option.

IBM Tech Support said  "If you are upgrading to the latest version of SPSS 27, then upgrading to 64-bit applications will be necessary for compatibility to be successful." They also provided this link - https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/bit-version-and-odbc-connectivity-ibm-spss-statistics-modeler

Are folks able to use ODBC drivers querying tables from 32-bit Access databases with the 64-bit version of SPSS v.27?

Are there any simple workarounds to this bit-compatibility issue?

Does IBM expect that all SPSS users are now using 64-bit installations of MS Office products?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ariel

Re: SPSS v.27 64-bit and MS Access 32-bit?

ariel barak
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your response. I understand it's likely a lot of work to build and support both 32 and 64 bit versions of SPSS, but am surprised there hasn't been more push back from users. What a pain!

It looks like in Excel, there is the ability to set up an external data source connection to an Access Database (among others) and you can point it to the tables of interest in an Access Database and refresh all the tables at one time. From the Data Ribbon in Excel, select "New Query" from the "Get & Transform" sub-menu and then "From Database>From Microsoft Access Database". This may work well with smaller databases, but I'm concerned about the efficiency of it with larger ones.

I'll see how this workaround works in the weeks ahead and try to report back to the list.

Thanks,
Ariel

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 12:37 PM Jon Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bruce Weaver
Jon, could R's ImportExport package be used to make the process a little less
hands-on?

  https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ImportExport/ImportExport.pdf

Jon Peck wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: SPSS v.27 64-bit and MS Access 32-bit?

Jon Peck
I haven't used that R package, but it relies on ODBC, so I expect that it would encounter the same obstacles as SPSS with mixed 32/64-bit combinations.  On top of that, transferring the data on to SPSS Statistics would require further work.

I found this statement in the RODBC doc.
The Access/Excel 2010 versions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/
details.aspx?id=13255 have a 64-bit version: however the 64-bit drivers cannot be in-
stalled alongside 32-bit versions Office (as far as we know, and definitely not for Offce
2007).

On top of that I would add that you cannot have both 32- and 64-bit versions of Office installed on the same machine.