Scatterplots in v27 ?

Jeff A

I’ve just installed v27 a few weeks ago. I have in my notes when I used a prior version of spss that although spss doesn’t do scatterplots of the dependent and independent variables directly from the regression menu item (which only provides options for scatterplots of the dependent with different types of predicted variables and residuals) , the following syntax will work:

Regression

  /Dependent Y

  /Method=Enter X

  /Scatterplot = (Y, X) .

I can no longer get this to work in v27. Instead, I get a message that my X variable is an invalid variable name.

I know I can get the scatterplot via the legacy graph syntax and menu item (below), but is there no way any longer to simply ask for a scatterplot as part of the regression syntax?

GRAPH

  /SCATTERPLOT(BIVAR)=X WITH Y.

Best,

Jeff

Re: Scatterplots in v27 ?

Jon Peck
According to the CSR,
"You can specify any variable named on the VARIABLES subcommand."
but you don't have that subcommand.

You might also consider the STATS REGRESS PLOT extension command, which gives  you a lot of options for the plot and can include bordered boxplots, too.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 7:06 PM Jeff A <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jon K Peck

Re: Scatterplots in v27 ?

Jeff A

Thanks Jon,

As near as I can tell after experimenting with this for several minutes just now, under older versions of spss you didn’t need the variables subcommand to run scatterplots, but now under v27 you do. …or perhaps something got mixed up with my older notes, but I don’t think that was the case.

Jeff