Source operand is singular for INV

shivam
I am trying to run process hayes on my data analysis but I am getting an
error:

>Error # 12417
>Source operand is singular for INV.
>Execution of this command stops.

My dataset contains 230 respondents and 17 dummy variables, 1 independent
variable,1 dependent variable. I am unable to understand the reason for this
error and how to fix it?  SPSS_cleaned_(n230)_0104sav.sav
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t341877/SPSS_cleaned_%28n230%29_0104sav.sav>

Please find attached SPSS file and provide a solution to this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Source operand is singular for INV

David Marso-2
The Process macro uses the SPSS matrix facility and invokes the INV (matrix inverse) function in many places. Error is data and model dependent. Debugging this might involve a great deal of effort. Good luck.

"I am trying to run process hayes on my data analysis but I am getting an
error:

>Error # 12417
>Source operand is singular for INV.
>Execution of this command stops.

My dataset contains 230 respondents and 17 dummy variables, 1 independent
variable,1 dependent variable. I am unable to understand the reason for this
error and how to fix it?  SPSS_cleaned_(n230)_0104sav.sav
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t341877/SPSS_cleaned_%28n230%29_0104sav.sav>

Please find attached SPSS file and provide a solution to this issue.
Thanks in advance."

Re: Source operand is singular for INV

Rich Ulrich
To add detail to what David Marso posted -

The program quits because it is trying to take the inverse of
a singular data matrix.  I don't know the program, but the matrix
is either the "17 dummy variables" or it also includes one or both
of the other variables.

The easiest error to find is if one of your dummy variables has a
count of 0.  Or, it might be even easier to spot /redundant/ dummies,
if you know that you have coded (say) two variables for Sex that
contain the same information.  If one variable started out as k
categories, you can have only (k-1) dummies for that variable or you
will end up with a singular matrix.

--
Rich Ulrich

I am trying to run process hayes on my data analysis but I am getting an
error:

>Error # 12417
>Source operand is singular for INV.
>Execution of this command stops.

My dataset contains 230 respondents and 17 dummy variables, 1 independent
variable,1 dependent variable. I am unable to understand the reason for this
error and how to fix it?  SPSS_cleaned_(n230)_0104sav.sav
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t341877/SPSS_cleaned_%28n230%29_0104sav.sav

Please find attached SPSS file and provide a solution to this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Source operand is singular for INV

Anthony Babinec
We do not have a detailed description of your data. However,
I think that Rich Ulrich's advice is spot-on. It appears that
you have created dummy variables for all categories of categorical
variables and then attempted to include them. In linear
models such as regression, the "dummy variable trap" occurs
when you attempt to include all dummies for a categorical
variable. Instead, you must leave one out of the model. Any
good regression text will discuss this.

Tony Babinec

The Process macro uses the SPSS matrix facility and invokes the INV (matrix inverse) function in many places. Error is data and model dependent. Debugging this might involve a great deal of effort. Good luck.

"I am trying to run process hayes on my data analysis but I am getting an
error:

>Error # 12417
>Source operand is singular for INV.
>Execution of this command stops.

My dataset contains 230 respondents and 17 dummy variables, 1 independent
variable,1 dependent variable. I am unable to understand the reason for this error and how to fix it?  SPSS_cleaned_(n230)_0104sav.sav <http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t341877/SPSS_cleaned_%28n230%29_0104sav.sav>

Please find attached SPSS file and provide a solution to this issue.
Thanks in advance."

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD