Spearman rho and Cohen's d

msherman
Dear list: It is possible to convert a Pearson r into Cohen's d (effect
size).  Can one treat the Spearman rank order correlation in the same
way and convert it to Cohen's d.  What about the point-biserial? thanks,
 martin

Re: Spearman rho and Cohen's d

Marta García-Granero
Hi Martin

Monday, August 7, 2006, 2:37:13 AM, You wrote:

MS> Dear list: It is possible to convert a Pearson r into Cohen's d (effect
MS> size).  Can one treat the Spearman rank order correlation in the same
MS> way and convert it to Cohen's d.  What about the point-biserial? thanks,

Check this page:

http://www.lyonsmorris.com/MetaA/studyfx2.htm

--
Regards,
Dr. Marta García-Granero,PhD           mailto:[hidden email]

---
"It is unwise to use a statistical procedure whose use one does
not understand. SPSS syntax guide cannot supply this knowledge, and it
is certainly no substitute for the basic understanding of statistics
and statistical thinking that is essential for the wise choice of
methods and the correct interpretation of their results".

(Adapted from WinPepi manual - I'm sure Joe Abrahmson will not mind)