Splitting a file and then running a function

Splitting a file and then running a function

J.D. Haltigan
Did a reasonable search and did not find confirmation on this, but if I first
split a file and then run a function subsequently, it is the case that the
created variables are indeed based on the split? As an example, splitting a
file (long format) based on ID to create (save) intraindividual z-scores
using the Descriptives function. To be sure, this is the result I get, but
just wanted confirmation/further comments on this approach more generally.

Re: Splitting a file and then running a function

Jon Peck
If you are running a procedure that honors split files (most do) and saves variables such as DESCRIPTIVES or REGRESSION, the calculated variables are based on the split results.  You can confirm this, for example, in DESCRIPTIVES by running the command again with splits still on and see that in each split, the standardized variables have mean zero.

If you are running a transformation such as COMPUTE, splits are ignored.  One exception is SHIFT VALUES, which was designed to respect split boundaries.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:22 PM J.D. Haltigan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did a reasonable search and did not find confirmation on this, but if I first
split a file and then run a function subsequently, it is the case that the
created variables are indeed based on the split? As an example, splitting a
file (long format) based on ID to create (save) intraindividual z-scores
using the Descriptives function. To be sure, this is the result I get, but
just wanted confirmation/further comments on this approach more generally.

Jon K Peck

Re: Splitting a file and then running a function

J.D. Haltigan
Thanks Jon. This actually clarifies some nuance for me as the distinction
between procedures and transformations return different results as relates
to ignoring/honoring the split. G2Know.