Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Hart, Kimberly (hartkb)
TLTR=Too long to read

And I am LMAO  ;)

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

David Marso
You and Bruce are becoming WAY TOO GOOD AT THIS!!!
What's LMAO?
--
Hart, Kimberly (hartkb) wrote
TLTR=Too long to read

And I am LMAO  ;)

/

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Please reply to the list and not to my personal email.
Those desiring my consulting or training services please feel free to email me.
---
"Nolite dare sanctum canibus neque mittatis margaritas vestras ante porcos ne forte conculcent eas pedibus suis."
Cum es damnatorum possederunt porcos iens ut salire off sanguinum cliff in abyssum?"

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Hart, Kimberly (hartkb)
Why, laughing my a** off of course! Statistics and programming should not be so much fun... ;)

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

David Marso
Administrator
How about ROTFLMFAO?
"Statistics and programming should not be so much fun."
Why?  Would you prefer to be a forensic pathologist hanging out with dead people?
I have a lot of fun doing stats and programming.  But many people find that odd ;-)
Balance it out with art and cooking!
---
Hart, Kimberly (hartkb) wrote

-----
Please reply to the list and not to my personal email.
Those desiring my consulting or training services please feel free to email me.

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Please reply to the list and not to my personal email.
Those desiring my consulting or training services please feel free to email me.
---
"Nolite dare sanctum canibus neque mittatis margaritas vestras ante porcos ne forte conculcent eas pedibus suis."
Cum es damnatorum possederunt porcos iens ut salire off sanguinum cliff in abyssum?"

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Ryan
"IKYBYUWYTISBINSYRTWYHINWIM"

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. :-)

Ryan
How about ROTFLMFAO?

-----
Please reply to the list and not to my personal email.
Those desiring my consulting or training services please feel free to email me.

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

David Marso
Administrator
Crap Ryan ;-)
Let's see:  It is beer-o'clock in PA!
You probably don't want to see what blue goo might emerge from my deranged skull 2 hrs from now ;-)
So! -better tell us WTF IKYBYUWYTISBINSYRTWYHINWIM means!-
---
Ryan Black wrote
"IKYBYUWYTISBINSYRTWYHINWIM"

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. :-)
Ryan
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM, David Marso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about ROTFLMFAO?
> "Statistics and programming should not be so much fun."
> Why?  Would you prefer to be a forensic pathologist hanging out with dead
> people?
> I have a lot of fun doing stats and programming.  But many people find that
> odd ;-)
> Balance it out with art and cooking!
> ---
>
> Hart, Kimberly (hartkb) wrote
> > Why, laughing my a** off of course! Statistics and programming should not
> > be so much fun... ;)

Here ya go:

I Know You Believe You Understand What You Think I Said, But I'm Not Sure You Realize That What You Heard Is Not What I Meant

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 18, 2013, at 6:03 PM, David Marso <[hidden email]> wrote:

Crap Ryan ;-)
Let's see:  It is beer-o'clock in PA!
You probably don't want to see what blue goo might emerge from my deranged
skull 2 hrs from now ;-)
So! -better tell us WTF IKYBYUWYTISBINSYRTWYHINWIM means!-
---

Ryan Black wrote
"IKYBYUWYTISBINSYRTWYHINWIM"

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. :-)
Ryan
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM, David Marso &lt;

david.marso@

&gt; wrote:

How about ROTFLMFAO?
"Statistics and programming should not be so much fun."
Why?  Would you prefer to be a forensic pathologist hanging out with dead
people?
I have a lot of fun doing stats and programming.  But many people find
that
odd ;-)
Balance it out with art and cooking!
---

Hart, Kimberly (hartkb) wrote
Why, laughing my a** off of course! Statistics and programming should
not
be so much fun... ;)

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

David Marso
Administrator
Maybe we could CN that to IKYB...NWIM

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Ryan Black [via SPSSX Discussion]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here ya go:
>
> I Know You Believe You Understand What You Think I Said, But I'm Not Sure
> You Realize That What You Heard Is Not What I Meant
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 18, 2013, at 6:03 PM, David Marso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Crap Ryan ;-)
> Let's see:  It is beer-o'clock in PA!
> You probably don't want to see what blue goo might emerge from my deranged
> skull 2 hrs from now ;-)
> So! -better tell us WTF IKYBYUWYTISBINSYRTWYHINWIM means!-
> ---
>
> Ryan Black wrote
>
> "IKYBYUWYTISBINSYRTWYHINWIM"
>

> Sorry, but I couldn't resist. :-)
>
> Ryan
>
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM, David Marso &lt;
>

> david.marso@
>

> &gt; wrote:
>

> How about ROTFLMFAO?
>
> "Statistics and programming should not be so much fun."
>
> Why?  Would you prefer to be a forensic pathologist hanging out with dead
>
> people?
>
> I have a lot of fun doing stats and programming.  But many people find
>
> that
>
> odd ;-)
>
> Balance it out with art and cooking!
>
> ---
>

> Hart, Kimberly (hartkb) wrote
>
> Why, laughing my a** off of course! Statistics and programming should
>
> not
>
> be so much fun... ;)

BUMP! It's been 2 months!
[...]

Please do not send people direct emails unless they ask for them: it's very rude. And you probably won't get an answer: With ??-million users of SPSS out there, no-one would live long enough to answer all the emails that would result if each SPSS user sent them just one email in their whole lifetime.  In fact I would reply with a 5M file of my cat in drag to every one of them.

[...]

BUMP by popular demand.
Seems that it might be a good time to make this visible again.
Please reply to the list and not to my personal email.
Those desiring my consulting or training services please feel free to email me.
---
"Nolite dare sanctum canibus neque mittatis margaritas vestras ante porcos ne forte conculcent eas pedibus suis."
Cum es damnatorum possederunt porcos iens ut salire off sanguinum cliff in abyssum?"

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Bruce Weaver
EDITED 23-APR-2015 (to fix some bad grammar)

For those not reading via Nabble, the tips (and follow-up posts) can be viewed here:

http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/Tips-on-Posting-questions-to-the-SPSS-list-td5715038.html

David Marso wrote
BUMP by popular demand.
Seems that it might be a good time to make this visible again.
--
Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Art Kendall
Great ideas!

The idea about describing why we want to do something is very needed.

Could I suggest that people who want to post be sure to <paste> their syntax rather than the GUI steps they used?  And that they use auto indent?

Could I also suggest the caps are okay for syntax.
e.g., "See the AGGREGATE procedure".

Also since I have a soapbox about using vertical alignment is there a way to put a button on the edit box for messages that lets the person posting use fixed font for syntax?
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Bruce Weaver
Here are some more general tips on "getting answers".

    https://www.mikeash.com/getting_answers.html

[...]

PRogman
when posting a message (in Nabble) you can press the button 'More' to get raw text inserted

  which seems to be monospaced
  and more suited for SYNTAX code

I also prefer astute concise quoting, to keep readability or it may become TLTR(?)
/PR

Art Kendall wrote
Also since I have a soapbox about using vertical alignment is there a way to put a button on the edit box for messages that lets the person posting use fixed font for syntax?

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Albert-Jan Roskam-2
-----------------------------

This is also a useful website: http://sscce.org

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Art Kendall
Thanks that should be useful.

IF the moderator collapses all these posts into something more readable, That might be a useful hint about raw text for syntax.
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Bruce Weaver
Jignesh alerted me to another site with tips on how to ask a good question.  Here it is:

   http://stackoverflow.com/help/how-to-ask

Albert-Jan Roskam-2 wrote
-----------------------------
On Sun, May 24, 2015 8:20 PM CEST Bruce Weaver wrote:

>Here are some more general tips on "getting answers".
>
> >https://www.mikeash.com/getting_answers.html

This is also a useful website: http://sscce.org

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: Tips on Posting questions to the SPSS list.

Bruce Weaver
But as Gene Maguin recently pointed out to me, using raw text tags in Nabble is making things invisible in the UGA archive for the mailing list.  See the following thread for details:

http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/OT-quot-raw-text-quot-tags-in-Nabble-are-making-text-disappear-in-the-UGA-archive-td5729959.html

HTH.

PRogman wrote
[...]

This thread now has many posts in it, so I can't be certain that this has not been mentioned before.  But I don't remember seeing it, so will add it to the list of tips.

When posting a question, please try to avoid the XY problem.

   http://xyproblem.info/