Tricky Date conversion.

Boris Ratchev
Hello all,

I have the following tricky task to accomplish: I have
a 6-digit numeric variable (GRAD_DATE), e.g. "951105"
where 95 is the year 1995, 11 is the month and 05 is
the date. I'd like to convert it to a date format of,
e.g., 11/05/95 or 11/05/1995.

The real issue is that I have to merge the file that
contains this variable into another file with the same
variable which has already been formatted as date,
e.g., like 08/12/2001.

I'll appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks

Boris Rachev
ICF International
Fairfax, VA 22031

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re:Tricky Date conversion.

Jerabek Jindrich
Hello Boris,

Following syntax should transform 6digits variable into date/time:
STRING s1 (A6).
COMPUTE s1 = string(GRAD_date,F6).
COMPUTE y = number(substr(s1,1,2),F2).
COMPUTE m = number(substr(s1,3,2),F2).
COMPUTE d = number(substr(s1,5,2),F2).
COMPUTE GR_date2 = DATE.DMY(d,m,y).
EXEC.
FORMAT GR_DATE2 (DATE10 dd-mm-yy).

Its supposed you always have 6 digits: 951105, not 95115.

HTH
Jindra