Value labels inconsistent.

Mike P-5
Hi All

I'm encountering problems when I Oms a table into a new data set.  The
values labels are brought across as string in the correct order, but if
I try to produce a new table they are re-order (Alphanumerically as
expected), using automatic recode yields the same problem.  I cannot use
a script because it is a small part of a very large syntax file and so
synchronicity problems are encountered, and don't know python in order
to create something to do this automatically.  Does anyone have any
ideas of how this could be done automatically, and generically (as I
have the oms in a macro for many variables) so I can add it into my
syntax? Below is an example of what I mean.

VAR1
John
Pete
Dave

Above would be the order that I wish to see in my final table, and also
the order in the dataset (please note these are string variables) using
auto-recode or just creating the graph will result in

Dave
John
Pete

Cheers

Michael Pearmain

Re: Value labels inconsistent.

Peck, Jon
I don't understand what you are trying to do.  If, however, you want a stable Autorecode, i.e., one where an Autorecode defined on one set of values will use the same mapping when applied later, when some new values may appear, you can do this with Autorecode by using its template facility (/SAVE TEMPLATE and /APPLY TEMPLATE in AUTORECODE syntax).

Jon Peck
SPSS