Value labels not displaying properly in Data View

Value labels not displaying properly in Data View

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Hello all.  I noticed while working on an example for another thread that
when I click the toolbar button to display value labels in the Data View
pane of the data editor, the value labels are not displaying properly.
Specifically, the value label associated with the highest (labeled) value
appears on all rows, regardless of the value.  Here's some code to
illustrate the problem:

DATASET CLOSE ALL.
DATA LIST FREE / v1(F8.0).
BEGIN DATA
1 2 3 4 5 8 9
END DATA.
DATASET NAME d1.
DATASET ACTIVATE d1.
COMPUTE v2 = v1.
EXECUTE.
FORMATS v2(F8.0).
VALUE LABELS v1
 1 'SD' 2 'D' 3 'N' 4 'A' 5 'SA' 8 'NA' 9'Missing'.
CROSSTABS v1 by v2.
MISSING VALUES v1 v2 (8 9).
FREQUENCIES v1 v2.

* When I go to Data View for dataset d1 and
* click on the tool to show value labels, this is what I see:
         v1  v2
Missing 1
Missing 2
Missing 3
Missing 4
Missing 5
Missing 8
Missing 9
.

DATA LIST FREE / v1(F8.0).
BEGIN DATA
1 2 3 4 5 -8 -9
END DATA.
DATASET NAME d2.
DATASET ACTIVATE d2.
COMPUTE v2 = v1.
EXECUTE.
FORMATS v2(F8.0).
VALUE LABELS v1
 1 'SD' 2 'D' 3 'N' 4 'A' 5 'SA' -8 'NA' -9 'Missing'.
CROSSTABS v1 by v2.
MISSING VALUES v1 v2 (-8 -9).
FREQUENCIES v1 v2.

* When I go to Data View for dataset d2 and
* click on the tool to show value labels, this is what I see:
 v1           v2
SA 1
SA 2
SA 3
SA 4
SA 5
SA -8
SA -9
.

A few other things:

1. In the frequency tables generated by this code, the value labels for v1
appear as expected.

2. When I go to Variable View and view what value labels have been assigned,
I see only one value listed.  In dataset d1, I see 1 = "Missing", and in
dataset d2, I see -9 = "SA".  (In both cases, that is the lowest value of v1
paired with the label for the highest labeled value.)

3.  I tried ADD VALUE LABELS and got the same results.  Ditto for
double-quotes vs. single-quotes.

FYI, I'm running Release 25.0.0.2 (64-bit) under Windows 10 Education.

Can anyone duplicate the problem?  Any thoughts about how to fix it?  (I've
already tried exiting and relaunching SPSS to no avail.)  Is this going to
require re-installation  or tinkering with the registry?  (If so, I might
live with it for now in hopes of getting v26 in September.)

Cheers,
Bruce

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: Value labels not displaying properly in Data View

Jon Peck
I tried this using 25.0.0.2 64 bit on Win 10, and everything in the DE displayed properly.  All the value labels were assigned as expected.  I did notice that your VALUE LABELS command in the first dataset lacks a space between 9 and 'Missing'. but that did not cause a problem on my system.

This is not the sort of thing that a reinstallation or Registry hacking would be likely to change.  One long-shot guess is that your VALUE LABELS command had the wrong kind of quote characters - like the curly ones that Word likes to generate, but somehow the email lost that distinction.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 12:02 PM Bruce Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jon K Peck

Re: Value labels not displaying properly in Data View

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Thanks for trying, Jon.  I don't think it's the quotation marks.  But for
fun, I made a 3rd copy of the code in Word, used curly quotes, and pasted it
into my syntax window.  Now here's what I see for v1 when toggling to view
variable labels in Data View:

v1
“SD” 2 “D” 3 “N” 4 “A” 5 “SA” -8 “NA” -9 “Missing”
“SD” 2 “D” 3 “N” 4 “A” 5 “SA” -8 “NA” -9 “Missing”
“SD” 2 “D” 3 “N” 4 “A” 5 “SA” -8 “NA” -9 “Missing”
“SD” 2 “D” 3 “N” 4 “A” 5 “SA” -8 “NA” -9 “Missing”
“SD” 2 “D” 3 “N” 4 “A” 5 “SA” -8 “NA” -9 “Missing”
-8
-9

I'll upload my syntax file so you (or anyone else) can have a look for
yourself, if you like.  ;-)

Value_Labels_FUBAR_in_Data_View.sps
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t7186/Value_Labels_FUBAR_in_Data_View.sps>

One thing I have not tried yet is restarting the computer.  I cannot imagine
why that would fix it, though.

Jon Peck wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: Value labels not displaying properly in Data View

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Believe it or not, restarting the computer did fix the problem.

(Waiting now for all the Mac users to tell me this sort of thing could never
happen on a Mac.)  ;-)

Bruce Weaver wrote

-----