What is being attempted with this particular 'Q-Q plot'?

What is being attempted with this particular 'Q-Q plot'?

margmacd

Hello

Could someone kindly explain what exactly is being plotted in the ‘Q-Q plot’ generated by choosing the option ‘Normality plots with tests’ from the SPSS menu sequence Anlalyze à Descriptive Statistics à Explore. The corresponding command is NPPLOT.

Please do not send me a definition of a Q-Q plot. This is not needed.  I am referring to a specific routine and see neither the rationale nor an accessible explanation to hand. I have looked up an algorithm, but this does not answer my questions.

Thanks in advance for a clear answer, if available.

Many thanks

Best wishes
Margaret

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. ===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD