Zip file is empty

J.D. Haltigan
Does anyone else receive this warning message when opening V28 or have an idea why I might be getting it? Relatedly, when one installs extensions, I see they are installed to a roaming app data folder which I regularly clean for system optimization. Is there a way to change the default install folder for extensions?

Re: Zip file is empty

jkpeck
V28 uses a virtual environment for the Python and R code in order to ensure that it is writeable and separate from other Python and R environments.  However, you can control where extensions are installed by setting the SPSS_EXTENSIONS_PATH environment variable via the Control Panel to another location.
Mine is set like this
SPSS_EXTENSIONS_PATH = c:\extcommon3
Restart Statistics after setting this.

The SHOW EXT output shows all the locations where Statistics looks for extensions.  If you already have extensions installed from before when you set this variable, they will still be found, but newly installed ones will go to the specified location.

As far as the warning goes, I don't know where it comes from, but maybe you have a zero-byte spe file somewhere on the search path.

Re: Zip file is empty

J.D. Haltigan
Anyone else encounter the zip file is empty warning dialog at opening on Windows 10 21H1 build 19043.1202? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

Re: Zip file is empty

jkpeck
Here is some code that you can run from a syntax window to search your entire disk for zero size zip or spe files.  It searches from c:\ on down but not any network mounts.  On Mac, you would need to remove the c: part of the filespecs in both places where they occur.

Be sure to preserve the indentations.
This may take some time to run, so be patient.

begin program python3.
import glob, os, itertools

for f in itertools.chain(glob.iglob(r"c:/**/*.spe", recursive=True), glob.iglob(r"c:/**/*.zip", recursive=True)):
    st = os.stat(f)
    if st.st_size == 0:
        print(f"empty: {f}")
print("done")
end program.

Re: Zip file is empty

jkpeck
There is a possibility that this alert is triggered by a bad spe file for the SPSSINC CENSOR TABLES extension command.  If you have that installed, get the updated version from the Extension Hub and see if it resolves the problem.