change numerical to string using value labels

change numerical to string using value labels

Judith Slaa
Hi,

I am trying to get large data sets from SPSS into Excel (and eventually
into ACCESS). The problem is that most data are coded as numerical with
attached value labels, and when I save as an Excel file I only get the
numbers, not the actual labels. I know it can be recoded manually, typing
in the actual value labels in the 'new for old values' box, but does
anyone know whether there is an automatic way to change numerical data
into string data as defined by the value labels? Because the data sets are
truely large it would save me days of work!

Cheers,

Judith

Re: change numerical to string using value labels

Beadle, ViAnn
There is a check box on the save dialog for excel files that saves value labels rather than values in the spreadsheet.