graph command question

Maguin, Eugene

I’m using the legacy graph command (v26) to graph some data and also doing a means command to show what I think should be the matching data. But it is not and I’m lost for an explanation.  My graph command is

GRAPH /LINE(multiple)=MEAN(cigs.week.avg nocigs.week.avg amount.week.avg) BY week.

And my means command is

means cigs.week.avg nocigs.week.avg amount.week.avg by week/

   cells=count mean stddev median.

My data have a progressive loss of cases over weeks.

To give you some ideas of the differences consider that at week 6 the graph cigs.week.avg shows a value that looks to be about 3.0 but the means table shows a value of 1.20.  The graph show a value of about 2.3 for nocigs.week.avg but the table shows a value 3.31. At the same time the values for week 2 look to be approximately correct.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to understand the difference or how to fix the problem? For instance, does how the data are sorted matter?

Thanks, Gene Maguin

Re: graph command question

Maguin, Eugene

Thanks, Jon. I didn’t do what I’ve encouraged others to do!

Re: graph command question

Bruce Weaver
You didn't RTFM?!  :-O

That's no way to get on Santa's "NICE" list, Gene.  ;-)

Maguin, Eugene wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).