how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

Zdaniuk, Bozena-3

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to get the overall F-test of the model significance (equivalent to the one produced in Regression) for a Repeated Measures ANOVA performed using GLM in SPSS?

Cheers,

Bozena

Re: how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
When you say repeated measures ANOVA, do you mean that there are repeated
measures factors only, or do you include so-called mixed designs in which
there is at least one between-Ss factor and at least one within-Ss factor?

Also, can you direct us to any textbooks or articles that show an overall
test of the type you have in mind?

Thanks for clarifying.

Zdaniuk, Bozena-3 wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

Zdaniuk, Bozena-3
Hello Bruce and Others,
We conducted 5 mixed effect ANOVAS (2 within-sb factors and one btw-sb factor) and 4 RM ANOVAS (2 within-sb factors). The reviewer has asked that we control for multiple ANOVA testing by adjusting the p-values of the 'general F-test' for each ANOVA rather than adjusting the main effect or interaction effect p-values. I have searched the internet for hours and the only thing I found was someone on the stats.stackexchange talking about adjusting for multiple ANOVAS by first adjusting the 'overall F-tests" (https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/373829/adjusting-p-values-for-multiple-anovas) but not explaining what they meant by that. In response to that message, someone further interpreted such a test as "the whole model variance compared to the null model variance" which sounds to me very much like the F-test for regression model.
This is all I have found so far...
Any thoughts on whether it's possible to get such 'general' F-test for ANOVAS? Or is the reviewer's request misguided?
Thanks so much!
Bozena

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Re: how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

Rich Ulrich
The first thing to note is that if you are controlling for multiple
tests, you want to be specific about HYPOTHESES involved in
the particular F's.  In particular, I think you want to focus on
some MAIN hypothesis, not on the several between- and within-
factors that are there and confuse matters. (Sex or age often
account for large amounts of variance while being of no "real"
interest at all.  If that is the case, you don't want those tests.)

Personally, I tried to convince PIs to nail down no more than
about 3 "tests" that should tell them, Yes/No, "We found something."
Other partitions of variance are for "control" or for secondary
hypotheses, and the F's may be interesting but they are not crucial.

My preferred way of combining "similar" hypotheses is to construct
a composite score, and do testing on that.  For dissimilar hypotheses,
fairly unrelated, doing Bonferroni correction works about as well as
anything ... if you can't convince people that each of the tests deserve
a full 5%-alpha for consideration.

Does it make sense - to you - to control for "multiple testing" in some
version of what the reviewer suggests?  The comment, "adjusting the
p-values," makes me think he is suggesting some version of Bonferroni.

--
Rich Ulrich

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Re: how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

Mike
A couple of points:

(1)  I am really puzzled by the statement "General F-tests" because there seems to
to be different ways to interpret what this means or refers to.  Assuming that you
are analyzing factorial designs (below, first, a 3-way mixed design, second a 2-way
within-subject design) It is unclear to me why adjusting the p-value of "general F-test"
would be preferable to adjusting the p-values of the individual tests -- you are still
going to do the individual tests and you want to keep the Type I error rate for each
comparison at some reasonable level.

Assuming a one-way design, one interpretation comes from Fisher's protected
"Least Significant Difference" (LSD) t-test which first requires a significant F value
before one did multiple t-tests (typically at alpha= 0.05 for each test, that is, an
ordinary t-test).  If memory serves, obtaining a significant F value implies that at
least one orthogonal contrast will be statistically significant (though perhaps not
the one that one is most interested in).  Still, the overall F in this situation is still
evaluated at alpha= 0.05 (If one has a one-way design with a large number of
dependent variables, one could do a MANOVA to determine if there is at least
one difference, following the logic of Fisher's LSD, one could do the individual
ANOVAs at .05 or use a Bonferroni corrected alpha).

(2)  You write:
"someone further interpreted such a test as "the whole model variance compared
to the null model variance" which sounds to me very much like the F-test for regression mode."
I thought of this as well but in the context of doing Structural Equation Modeling
analysis comparing the empirical data against a model specifying no relationship.
I believe MPlus and R's lavaan would be able to do such an analysis; see the
Mplus website and/or the following article:
Breitsohl, H. (2019). Beyond ANOVA: An introduction to structural equation models
for experimental designs. Organizational Research Methods, 22(3), 649-677.
Go to:

However, it is not clear to me why this (or something similar with ordinary
regression) is a better control over the Type I error rate.

(3)  I have pulled out my copy of Kirk's Experimental Design (4th ed) and could
not find anything on "general F-test" or anything conceptually similar to it.
Nor does Hochberg & Tamhane's "Multiple Comparison Procedures" (1st ed)
list anything like it in its index.

Perhaps you should ask that the reviewer provide a reference for the procedure?

-Mike Palij
New York University

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 6:25 PM Zdaniuk, Bozena <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Bruce and Others,
We conducted 5 mixed effect ANOVAS (2 within-sb factors and one btw-sb factor) and 4 RM ANOVAS (2 within-sb factors). The reviewer has asked that we control for multiple ANOVA testing by adjusting the p-values of the 'general F-test' for each ANOVA rather than adjusting the main effect or interaction effect p-values. I have searched the internet for hours and the only thing I found was someone on the stats.stackexchange talking about adjusting for multiple ANOVAS by first adjusting the 'overall F-tests" (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__stats.stackexchange.com_questions_373829_adjusting-2Dp-2Dvalues-2Dfor-2Dmultiple-2Danovas&d=DwIFAg&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=A8kXUln5f-BYIUaapBvbXA&m=QI9iMCKHh6oXgVyqyQNvkpYQPHoyUCpPRHBOk2KhqyM&s=RjSV9iEKg95Y9lD0PHh66CmTeoSqqaxGGZInc30do6M&e= ) but not explaining what they meant by that. In response to that message, someone further interpreted such a test as "the whole model variance compared to the null model variance" which sounds to me very much like the F-test for regression model.

-----
--
Bruce Weaver
[hidden email]

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__spssx-2Ddiscussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com_&d=DwIFAg&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=A8kXUln5f-BYIUaapBvbXA&m=QI9iMCKHh6oXgVyqyQNvkpYQPHoyUCpPRHBOk2KhqyM&s=GP2GzgwGLt1a9LNC023gGaQX9aStPgDr6b6gOz6d87I&e=

=====================
To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Re: how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

Bruce Weaver
Thank you for providing that additional info, Bozena.  The thing I am still
stuck on is the notion of a general F-test for the entire model in the case
of a mixed-design ANOVA.

For a two-factor totally between-Ss ANOVA, the first partition of the SS is
into between-cells and within-cells.  And MS_between-cells / MS_within-cells
gives an F-test for the "model".  I assume the reviewer is asking for
something analogous to that.

But in the case of a repeated measures or mixed design, the first partition
of the SS is into between-subjects and within-subjects.  In a completely
within-Ss design, the between-Ss variability is set aside and does not enter
into any of the F-tests.  But not so in the mixed design.  In both cases, I
do not see how to achieve something analogous to the overall test for the
"model" one gets for the completely between-Ss design.  I wonder if the
reviewer actually knows how to do that!

Zdaniuk, Bozena-3 wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

Bruce Weaver
Hi Mike.  The classic article (or at least I consider it a classic!) by
Huberty & Morris (1989) explicitly recommends against the practice of
conducting a MANOVA to buy protection against Type I error (a la Fisher's
LSD) and following up with multiple ANOVAs if the MANOVA is statistically
significant.  Here are a couple of links for their article:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ee6c/77c99c8e4530d0cccaedf85ed525fb22a02d.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232494414_Multivariate_Analysis_Versus_Multiple_Univariate_Analyses

And here is the first paragraph of the Discussion section, which summarizes
many of the key points:

--- start of excerpt ---
Even though it is a fairly popular analysis route to take in the behavioral
sciences, conducting a MANOVA as a preliminary step to multiple ANOVAS is
not only unnecessary but irrelevant as well. We consider to be a myth the
idea that one is controlling Type I error probability by following a
significant MANOVA test with multiple ANOVA tests, each conducted using
conventional significance levels. Furthermore, the research questions
addressed by a MANOVA and by multiple ANOVAS are different; the results of
one analysis may have little or no direct substantive bearing on the results
of the other. To require MANOVA as a prerequisite of multiple ANOVAS is
illogical, and the comfort of statistical protection is an illusion. The
view that it is inappropriate to follow a significant MANOVA overall test
with univariate tests is shared by others (e.g., Share, 1984).
--- end of excerpt ---

Cheers,
Bruce

Mike wrote

> A couple of points:
>
> --- snip ---
>
> Assuming a one-way design, one interpretation comes from Fisher's
> protected
> "Least Significant Difference" (LSD) t-test which first requires a
> significant F value
> before one did multiple t-tests (typically at alpha= 0.05 for each test,
> that is, an
> ordinary t-test).  If memory serves, obtaining a significant F value
> implies that at
> least one orthogonal contrast will be statistically significant (though
> perhaps not
> the one that one is most interested in).  Still, the overall F in this
> situation is still
> evaluated at alpha= 0.05 (If one has a one-way design with a large number
> of
> dependent variables, one could do a MANOVA to determine if there is at
> least
> one difference, following the logic of Fisher's LSD, one could do the
> individual
> ANOVAs at .05 or use a Bonferroni corrected alpha).

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

Mike
Hi Bruce,

I vaguely remember this argument but since I don't do MANOVA, I am not
invested in using MANOVA as the first stage to determine whether an individual
ANOVA is significant or not.  SEM may be more appropriate depending upon
the questions one is asking, the nature of the variables one is using (i.e.,
error free independent variables in traditional experimental designs or
empirical measures of a latent variable such as depression which might
be used as a dependent variable).

The Huberty & Morris argument against using MANOVA prior to individual
ANOVA is somewhat comparable to Rand Wilcox's often stated arguments
that one does need to do an ANOVA if one is going to use standard multiple
comparison procedures (e.g., Tukey's tests, etc.) since these automatically
Control the overall Type I Error Rate/alpha.  Only the Fisher's LSD requires
a significant ANOVA before uncorrected t-tests are conducted.  If one uses
Bonferroni corrected t-tests, a significant ANOVA is not required either.

In any event, getting back to the OP point of some sort of "general F value",
such a value, at least to me, seems to make sense only in the context of
a two-stage procedure like MANOVA followed by ANOVA or ANOVA followed
by ordinary t-tests.

-Mike Palij
New York University

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__pdfs.semanticscholar.org_ee6c_77c99c8e4530d0cccaedf85ed525fb22a02d.pdf&d=DwICAg&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=A8kXUln5f-BYIUaapBvbXA&m=DZEMqc17FKPjMx1EGJmsDt13feNvR7KlDesKBQ3ckq4&s=Ys0wc2RF_1nGZoolPqFfLLFFsGqnM6nd3lvkoQ-cWrA&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.researchgate.net_publication_232494414-5FMultivariate-5FAnalysis-5FVersus-5FMultiple-5FUnivariate-5FAnalyses&d=DwICAg&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=A8kXUln5f-BYIUaapBvbXA&m=DZEMqc17FKPjMx1EGJmsDt13feNvR7KlDesKBQ3ckq4&s=ctxa4pMHqzKsNmCYPlUleWKPVXw1suwRxOEFp9N_v7Q&e=

And here is the first paragraph of the Discussion section, which summarizes
many of the key points:

--- start of excerpt ---
Even though it is a fairly popular analysis route to take in the behavioral
sciences, conducting a MANOVA as a preliminary step to multiple ANOVAS is
not only unnecessary but irrelevant as well. We consider to be a myth the
idea that one is controlling Type I error probability by following a
significant MANOVA test with multiple ANOVA tests, each conducted using
conventional significance levels. Furthermore, the research questions
addressed by a MANOVA and by multiple ANOVAS are different; the results of
one analysis may have little or no direct substantive bearing on the results
of the other. To require MANOVA as a prerequisite of multiple ANOVAS is
illogical, and the comfort of statistical protection is an illusion. The
view that it is inappropriate to follow a significant MANOVA overall test
with univariate tests is shared by others (e.g., Share, 1984).
--- end of excerpt ---

Cheers,
Bruce

Mike wrote
> A couple of points:
>
> --- snip ---
>
> Assuming a one-way design, one interpretation comes from Fisher's
> protected
> "Least Significant Difference" (LSD) t-test which first requires a
> significant F value
> before one did multiple t-tests (typically at alpha= 0.05 for each test,
> that is, an
> ordinary t-test).  If memory serves, obtaining a significant F value
> implies that at
> least one orthogonal contrast will be statistically significant (though
> perhaps not
> the one that one is most interested in).  Still, the overall F in this
> situation is still
> evaluated at alpha= 0.05 (If one has a one-way design with a large number
> of
> dependent variables, one could do a MANOVA to determine if there is at
> least
> one difference, following the logic of Fisher's LSD, one could do the
> individual
> ANOVAs at .05 or use a Bonferroni corrected alpha).

-----
--
Bruce Weaver
[hidden email]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sites.google.com_a_lakeheadu.ca_bweaver_&d=DwICAg&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=A8kXUln5f-BYIUaapBvbXA&m=DZEMqc17FKPjMx1EGJmsDt13feNvR7KlDesKBQ3ckq4&s=d4BKkn3fFgg1FLvxEOOqo4pDW1NPaWrMtjabWspmRbU&e=

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__spssx-2Ddiscussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com_&d=DwICAg&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=A8kXUln5f-BYIUaapBvbXA&m=DZEMqc17FKPjMx1EGJmsDt13feNvR7KlDesKBQ3ckq4&s=r6lpIxyhV3dMuetfkwHO_XJD_gX_el7g-zpmJKEJA9s&e=

Re: how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

Maguin, Eugene

In watching the struggle to understand what was meant by the reviewer and to divine how that might accomplished, it seems to me that the reviewer might be wrong and a communication with the editor might be useful.

Gene Maguin

> [...]

> individual
> ANOVAs at .05 or use a Bonferroni corrected alpha).

-----
--
Bruce Weaver
[hidden email]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sites.google.com_a_lakeheadu.ca_bweaver_&d=DwICAg&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=A8kXUln5f-BYIUaapBvbXA&m=DZEMqc17FKPjMx1EGJmsDt13feNvR7KlDesKBQ3ckq4&s=d4BKkn3fFgg1FLvxEOOqo4pDW1NPaWrMtjabWspmRbU&e=

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__spssx-2Ddiscussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com_&d=DwICAg&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=A8kXUln5f-BYIUaapBvbXA&m=DZEMqc17FKPjMx1EGJmsDt13feNvR7KlDesKBQ3ckq4&s=r6lpIxyhV3dMuetfkwHO_XJD_gX_el7g-zpmJKEJA9s&e=

Re: how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

I agree!

Maguin, Eugene wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: how to get overall F-test for GLM ANOVA analysis?

Zdaniuk, Bozena-3
Thank you so much, Bruce, Eugene, Michael, and Rich.
I will be talking to the Editor about the issue.
This list continues to be such a valuable resource!
Cheers,
Bozena

-----