using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

Art Kendall
*.sps in the edit box and browse to a folder.
this works to find all .sps files in a folder.
However, when I enter a string like "aggregate" in the word or phrase
edit box, it does does not find the files with that command.
does anyone else experience this?  Has anyone come up with a workaround?

I am running Win XP with a patches up to date.

Art
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

Zdaniuk, Bozena
I was never successful in searching for any text string in spss syntax
files and will be very excited to see a solution to it!
Bozena

Bozena Zdaniuk, Ph.D.

University of Pittsburgh

UCSUR, 6th Fl.

121 University Place

Pittsburgh, PA 15260

Ph.: 412-624-5736

Fax: 412-624-4810

email: [hidden email]

Art

Re: using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

jaredp-2
Prepare to be excited!

Unix and Linux systems have a command called GREP which allows to search for
a string of text within files.

You are in luck because you can download a piece of software for the Windows
operating system which will do the same thing.  Get it here
http://astrogrep.sourceforge.net/

This software is free as in price and free as in freedom (it is provided for
anyone to use under an open source license).

Jared

On 7/28/06, Zdaniuk, Bozena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was never successful in searching for any text string in spss syntax
> files and will be very excited to see a solution to it!
> Bozena
>
> Bozena Zdaniuk, Ph.D.
>
> University of Pittsburgh
>
> UCSUR, 6th Fl.
>
> 121 University Place
>
> Pittsburgh, PA 15260
>
> Ph.: 412-624-5736
>
> Fax: 412-624-4810
>
> email: [hidden email]

Patricia  Cleland
On the advice of someone from this list about 5 years ago, my previous
employer purchased "Search and Replace" from Funduc Software
(http://www.funduc.com/search_replace.htm).

It can be used to search for and replace strings without having to even open
the files.  We found it incredibly useful with syntax files.  The cost was
also very reasonable.  I just looked at the website and the current version
is $25 with a quantity discount.

HTH

Pat

Art

Re: using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

Oliver, Richard
Windows has a command line utility called findstr, which will find strings in .sps files. I don't know why the Search UI in XP fails to find text within .sps files. AFAIK, they are simple text files.

Unix and Linux systems have a command called GREP which allows to search for a string of text within files.

You are in luck because you can download a piece of software for the Windows operating system which will do the same thing.  Get it here http://astrogrep.sourceforge.net/

This software is free as in price and free as in freedom (it is provided for anyone to use under an open source license).

Jared

On 7/28/06, Zdaniuk, Bozena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was never successful in searching for any text string in spss syntax
> files and will be very excited to see a solution to it!
> Bozena
>
> Bozena Zdaniuk, Ph.D.
>
> University of Pittsburgh
>
> UCSUR, 6th Fl.
>
> 121 University Place
>
> Pittsburgh, PA 15260
>
> Ph.: 412-624-5736
>
> Fax: 412-624-4810
>
> email: [hidden email]

Thank you. it worked.
WINXP will find words or phrases in many other kinds of files but not
.sps files!

Art

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

zstatman
If you are using Start>Search then sure it will - The Wild Card. Enter *.sps
and also will search inside zipped files

Make sure all Advanced feature are set as you want

jaredp wrote:

> Prepare to be excited!
>
> Unix and Linux systems have a command called GREP which allows to
> search for a string of text within files.
>
> You are in luck because you can download a piece of software for the
> Windows operating system which will do the same thing.  Get it here
> http://astrogrep.sourceforge.net/
>
> This software is free as in price and free as in freedom (it is
> provided for anyone to use under an open source license).
>
> Jared
>
> On 7/28/06, Zdaniuk, Bozena <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I was never successful in searching for any text string in spss
>> syntax files and will be very excited to see a solution to it!
>> Bozena
>>
>> Bozena Zdaniuk, Ph.D.
>>
>> University of Pittsburgh
>>
>> UCSUR, 6th Fl.
>>
>> 121 University Place
>>
>> Pittsburgh, PA 15260
>>
>> Ph.: 412-624-5736
>>
>> Fax: 412-624-4810
>>
>> email: [hidden email]

Will
Statistical Services

============
info.statman@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~z_statman/
============

Re: using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

Art Kendall
"*.sps" in the files edit box and use the look in edit box to browse to a folder to search in.
this works to find all .sps files in a folder.

However, when I go back and enter a string like "aggregate" in the word or phrase
edit box, it does does not find the files that contain that string.

Art

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

Peck, Jon

________________________________

Microsoft has changed the way the Winxp search works.  Here is what they say (from the KnowledgeBase).

-Regards,

Jon Peck

Content Search Does Not Search All File Types for the Specified String
View products that this article applies to.

Article ID
 :
 309447

Last Review
 :
 September 23, 2003

Revision
 :
 1.0

SYMPTOMS

When you use the Search All Files and Folders feature to perform a content search, or you search for a string of text in a file, not all file types are searched for the specified string.

 Back to the top

CAUSE

This change was designed to return common document types such as Microsoft Office,
MIME, HTML, and plain-text files. The search functionality in earlier versions of
Windows searches all files for the specified string and may return a large number
of irrelevant files such as program and configuration files.

As a result of this change, the search functionality can find the same set of files
if the Content Index service is turned on or off. In previous versions of Windows,
the computer exhibited different behavior if you turned on the Content Index service.

The set of files includes all of the common document types that users create including
digital media file types such as picture, music, and video file types. For these file
types, you can search the text properties. For example, you can search for the artist
field in .wma or .mp3 files, or comment strings in .jpg files. This behavior is a new
feature that is not found in previous versions of Windows.

Art

Re: using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

Simon Phillip Freidin
There is a handler problem for files which don't have an extension of
txt. A workaround is to alter the the registry entry for '.sps' and
other plain text files

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_xp_search_bug.htm

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=323

http://www.jsifaq.com/subj/tip4600/rh4627.htm

cheers
Simon

On 29/07/2006, at 5:23 AM, Art Kendall wrote:

> "*.sps" in the files edit box and use the look in edit box to
> browse to a folder to search in.
> this works to find all .sps files in a folder.
>
> However, when I go back and enter a string like "aggregate" in the
> word or phrase
> edit box, it does does not find the files that contain that string.
>

> Art
>
> Will Bailey [Statman] wrote:
>
>> If you are using Start>Search then sure it will - The Wild Card.
>> Enter *.sps
>> and also will search inside zipped files
>>
>> Make sure all Advanced feature are set as you want

San K
Do this to perform a search on unknown (to Microsoft) files.
1. Open windows explore and go to a folder.
2. Press Ctrl+F to open the search facility.

3. Click on the 'Change preferences' (left side- last option)
4. Click on "----- indexing service"
5. click on "Change Indexing Services settings (Advanced)" . This should
open a new window called "indexing services"

6. Click on "Show/Hide Console Tree". It is the 3rd button. You want to see
the console tree here.
7. Right click on the "Indexing Services on Local Machine" and choose the
"Properties". It's the left panel top folder image.
8. Tick "Index files with unknown extensions"

9. Click "OK"

This should fix any file unknown issue in the search functionality.

Good luck.

- San

Re: using winxp "search" for words in .SPS files

Peck, Jon
Thanks for the tip.  On my system, it is the Indexing Service link that you click on.  But, interestingly, changing the preference setting works even though I actually have the Indexing Service disabled.  So the Windows wording is misleading, but the change does work.

BTW, even if you search for *.sps, search does not go into those files unless you make the change described.

Regards,
Jon Peck
SPSS