Elapsed Time Calculation

Shannon Deike-Sims
Dear Listers,

I have reviewed the archives and visited Raynald's www.spsstool.net
<http://www.spsstool.net/>  website to find elapsed time syntax. I did
find the syntax from
(http://www.spsstools.net/Syntax/DatesTime/CaculateNumberOfMinutes.txt)
to be helpful and almost what I need. The format of my data is different
in that it has the semicolon in the time and I am not sure how to change
the syntax to fit my data.

Sample of my data

1 20:05 22:40

2 . .

3  2:15  6:40

4 19:34 23:05

5 . 10:05

6 .  6:12

7 16:10 17:45

8  7:35 11:57

9  3:22  7:07

10 19:47 23:37

11 . 12:55

12 22:00  1:07

13 18:55 20:25

14 10:20 13:37

15 15:20 19:38

16  9:06 12:27

17  0:45  2:55

18 16:30 18:28

19 13:35 14:05

20  9:35 .

21  5:54  9:18

I would appreciate any additional help on the elapsed time calculation.

Shannon Deike-Sims

Re: Elapsed Time Calculation

Edward Boadi
Try this:
Suppose t1 and t2 are the original VARIABLES :

STRING st1 st2 (A6).

COMPUTE st1=REPLACE(t1,":","").
COMPUTE st2=REPLACE(t2,":","").
COMPUTE time1=number(st1,f6.0).
COMPUTE time2=number(st2,f6.0).
EXECUTE.

Sample Data
 t1          t2
16:10           10:20
7:35            15:20
3:22            1:20

 Output.
t1       t2       st1    st2       time1    time2

16:10    10:20    1610   1020    1610.00  1020.00
7:35     15:20    735    1520     735.00  1520.00
3:22     1:20     322    120      322.00   120.00

There could be a simpler way of doing this .

Regards.

Edward

Re: Elapsed Time Calculation

Maguin, Eugene
Shannon,

From your description you must mean that your time data looks like

1 20;05 22;40
2 . .
3  2;15  6;40

And not

1 20:05 22:40
2 . .
3  2:15  6:40

I can think of a couple of ways to do this and there may be others. One
method is to read the times in as STRINGs, extract the hours and minutes as
separate numeric variables and then recombine them into a time value. The
other method is to again read the data in as STRINGs, do a locate and
replace of the semicolin with a colon, write the data back out to a text
file and then read that file back in using time formats. I think there's
more opportunities for cleverness, if that appeals to you, in the first
method. It's Friday, so I'll do the second method. I'll assume that you can
set up the Data list statement or text data wizard to get the data in.

Then, (let T1 and T2 be the two time variables as read and T1m and T2m be
the modified values.

Do repeat x=T1 T2/y=T1m T2m.
+  Compute #loc=index(x,';').
+  Compute substr(x,#loc,1)=':'.
End repeat.

I'll assume you can set up the syntax to write out the corrected variables
(plus any others).

Gene Maguin

Re: Elapsed Time Calculation

Edward Boadi
The first syntax was too convoluted .
If t1 and t2 and the  original 2 time variables, you can convert
you data to the required format using the syntax below.
You can then proceed to use Raynald's syntax.

COMPUTE time1=NUMBER(REPLACE(t1,":",""),F6.00) .
COMPUTE time2=NUMBER(REPLACE(t2,":",""),F6.0)  .
EXECUTE.

Have a nice weekend.
Regards.

Edward.