Filter cases but keep SYSMIS cases

Lyndon Riviere
Hello all:

I am trying to filter some cases out of a sample.  I am using a filter
variable that has 6 categories (1-6) and I want to keep all the cases with
codes 1-5 and the SYSMIS cases, but delete the cases with a code of 6.  When
I use this syntax, SELECT IF(var<6), I lose all the SYSMIS cases.  Is there
a way that I can keep the SYSMIS cases?

Thanks,
Lyndon

Re: Filter cases but keep SYSMIS cases

Marta García-Granero
Hi Lyndon,

(Untested syntax):

SELECT IF ((var LT 6) OR (MISSING(var)).

* (LT: Lower Than).

Or...

SELECT IF (var NE 6).

* (NE: Not Equal).

LR> I am trying to filter some cases out of a sample.  I am using a filter
LR> variable that has 6 categories (1-6) and I want to keep all the cases with
LR> codes 1-5 and the SYSMIS cases, but delete the cases with a code of 6.  When
LR> I use this syntax, SELECT IF(var<6), I lose all the SYSMIS cases.  Is there
LR> a way that I can keep the SYSMIS cases?

Regards,
 Marta                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Filter cases but keep SYSMIS cases

Siraj Ur-rehman
Try this

Select if (sysmis(var) or var<6).

Thanks,
Lyndon

v-fold cross-validation with SPSS?

cbautista
Hi,

I'm wondering if somebody has a script to perform v-fold cross-validation
with SPSS.

Thanks,

/Chrisitian

Re: Filter cases but keep SYSMIS cases

Hector Maletta
A simpler way is to select all cases with values other than 6:
COMPUTE FLAG=1.
IF (VARX =6) FLAG=0.
SELECT IF FLAG=1.
Hector

Regards,
 Marta                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Filter cases but keep SYSMIS cases

Hector Maletta
Yet another way:
RECODE VAR (SYSMIS=7)(6=8).
RECODE VAR (7=6).
SELECT IF VAR LE 7.
Recoding the sysmis cases to 7 and then back to 6 is not necessary, indeed.
But recoding them to 6 in the first RECODE may cause an error because at the
same time the old 6 values are recoded to 8 (though I believe it will not
cause any error, because recoding works from right to left), and leaving
them at 7 after the first RECODE will leave the variable with a
discontinuous sequence of values (1,2,3,4,5,7) which an obsessive-compulsive
worker may not like.
Hector

SELECT IF ((var LT 6) OR (MISSING(var)).

* (LT: Lower Than).

Or...

SELECT IF (var NE 6).

* (NE: Not Equal).

LR> I am trying to filter some cases out of a sample.  I am using a filter
LR> variable that has 6 categories (1-6) and I want to keep all the cases
with
LR> codes 1-5 and the SYSMIS cases, but delete the cases with a code of 6.
When
LR> I use this syntax, SELECT IF(var<6), I lose all the SYSMIS cases.  Is
there
LR> a way that I can keep the SYSMIS cases?

Regards,
 Marta                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Filter cases but keep SYSMIS cases

Jeff Aquino
I want to  unsubscribe from  the  group  thanks

jeff