Follow up to stat question

msherman
Dear list:  A continuation of the evacuation question. I went ahead and
looked at the time for evacuation (started to evacuate to exited onto
the street). The correlations between floor started and time was .75 for
one building and .77 for the other building. Next I did a regression
analysis allowing for linear and quadratic. In both instances the linear
and quadratic functions were significant. Next I allowed for a cubic
function and this is what happened.  For building 1 Linear was
significant, quadratic and cubic were not significant.  For building 2
linear was not significant, but quadratic and cubic were significant.
My question is how would I lose significance for the quadratic when the
cubic was allowed to enter for building 1. Also why would I lose
significance for linear  (given the very large zero-order correlation-my
expectation was that the linear would stay in) for building 2 while
picking up the cubic (besides the quadratic). Befuddled.   TIA.
P.S. A colleague recommended a Loess fitting curve. Does anyone have
any thoughts about using the Loess?

martin sherman

Re: Follow up to stat question

Swank, Paul R
Did you center the time variable before doing the analyses?

Paul

________________________________

martin sherman

Re: Follow up to stat question

Marc Halbrügge
> My question is how would I lose significance for the quadratic when the
> cubic was allowed to enter for building 1. Also why would I lose
> significance for linear  (given the very large zero-order correlation-my
> expectation was that the linear would stay in) for building 2 while
> picking up the cubic (besides the quadratic). Befuddled.   TIA.
Did you test for multi-collinearity? The linear, quadratic and cubic
evacuation time should be highly intercorrelated.

Re: Follow up to stat question

Hector Maletta
Correlated, but not necessarily LINEARLY correlated.
Hector

> My question is how would I lose significance for the quadratic when the
> cubic was allowed to enter for building 1. Also why would I lose
> significance for linear  (given the very large zero-order correlation-my
> expectation was that the linear would stay in) for building 2 while
> picking up the cubic (besides the quadratic). Befuddled.   TIA.
Did you test for multi-collinearity? The linear, quadratic and cubic
evacuation time should be highly intercorrelated.

Delete me

Boonen Eliane
It's too much.
Delete me on your list.
Thanks.

J. Schoeters

Re: Follow up to stat question

Richard Ristow
Kind of a summary; these are points that have been made

At 12:02 PM 6/25/2006, Martin Sherman wrote:

>A continuation of the evacuation question. I went ahead and looked at
>the time for evacuation (started to evacuate to exited onto the
>street). The correlations between floor started and time was .75 for
>one building and .77 for the other building.

It's a good idea to take a naive look. In this case, what the
correlation means is, it takes longer to walk down more stairs. It's
fine to look at the correlation, but in this case, I don't think it can
be regarded as telling you much you didn't know.

>Next I did a regression analysis allowing for linear and quadratic. In
>both instances the linear and quadratic functions were significant.
>Next I allowed for a cubic function and this is what happened.  For
>building 1 Linear was significant, quadratic and cubic were not
>significant.  For building 2 linear was not significant, but quadratic
>and cubic were significant. My question is how would I lose
>significance for the quadratic when the cubic was allowed to enter for
>building 1. Also why would I lose significance for linear  (given the
>very large zero-order correlation-my expectation was that the linear
>would stay in) for building 2 while
>picking up the cubic (besides the quadratic). Befuddled.   TIA.

You should probably post the exact model you fit, and means and SDs of
the dependent and independent variables.

To say again what others have said: The linear, quadratic, and cubic
functions of a variable are VERY HIGHLY CORRELATED under very ordinary
conditions. Having all values positive (as yours are) is enough. The
larger the mean is relative to the SD, the worse. Look at the
correlation matrix of the predictors - linear, quadratic, and cubic -
that you used.

As Paul Swank said, you can solve the correlation between linear and
quadratic terms by centering the independent variable. Choosing a
convenient point near the middle will do; it needn't be the exact mean.
In your case, if time to evacuate is the dependent and starting floor
the independent, I'd keep the linear term uncentered, so its
coefficient has the natural meaning, and the constant has a reasonable
interpretation: mean time to start evacuation. But for 75 or so floors
to evacuate, I'd use, say, (Floor-40)**2 as the quadratic term. You can
interpret this as taking time per floor from the 40th floor as the
norm, and the quadratic term as the systematic change in time per floor
above and below the 40th.

Centering won't remove the correlation between linear and cubic terms.
As a cubic term, you might try subtracting the linear component:

(Floor-40)**3 - (Floor-40)

Notice that, here, I'm centering both the linear and the cubic
components of the variable. It make its shape, if plot it, much more
meaningful.

Finally, it's a common rule, in fitting polynomials, that if any term
is included, all lower terms must also be included. Keep the linear
term, whether it loses 'significance' or not. But I think, if you
transform like this, that the linear term will stay dominant.

Has the question of data censoring been settled? One would think this
involved censored data, since there's no observation for people who
failed to make it out of the buildings. However, as I understand it,
the pattern was peculiar: there was enough time to evacuate, and little
or no cutoff for people who were lost because the building collapsed
before they completed evacuation. The losses were people above the
points of impact, who were cut off from evacuation altogether, and need
to be excluded from this model.

A sad business, this. It is worth knowing about, though.

Delete me

Judit Lindqvist
Delete me on your list.
Thanks.

J. Lindqvist

Re: Delete me

Marta García-Granero
Hi Judit,

JL> Delete me on your list.

When you subscribed to the list, you received a message (copied below)
with instructions on how to unsubscribe yourself (we, users, CAN'T do
that for you, if we could start unsubscribing each other this would be
chaos). The message also instructed you to keep it, I see you didn't.

HTH,
Marta

need to leave  the list, you will find the  necessary instructions below.
Perhaps  more importantly,  saving a  copy of  this message  (and of  all
future subscription notices  from other mailing lists) in  a special mail
folder will give you instant access to the list of mailing lists that you
are subscribed  to. This may  prove very useful the  next time you  go on
vacation and  need to leave  the lists temporarily so  as not to  fill up
your  mailbox while  you  are away!  You should  also  save the  "welcome
messages" from the  list owners that you will  occasionally receive after
subscribing to a new list.

To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just send mail to [hidden email].  This is called "sending mail
to the  list," because  you send  mail to a  single address  and LISTSERV
makes  copies  for all  the  people  who  have subscribed.  This  address
([hidden email]) is  also called  the "list address."  You must
never send a command  to that address, as it would  be distributed to all
the  people  who have  subscribed.  All  commands  must  be sent  to  the
"LISTSERV *server* address," [hidden email].

You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF SPSSX-L" command
to [hidden email].

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list of the available archive files by sending an "INDEX SPSSX-L" command
to [hidden email]. You can then  order these files with a "GET
SPSSX-L LOGxxxx" command, or using LISTSERV's database search facilities.
Send an "INFO DATABASE" command for more information on the latter.

This  list is  available  in digest  form.  If you  wish  to receive  the
digested  version  of the  postings,  just  issue  a SET  SPSSX-L  DIGEST
command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to [hidden email].