Help with Means and OMS

Mark Webb-5
I have 2 product ratings [A,B] and 2 time periods (T1, T2).
In MEANS I put the 2 ratings in the Dependent List.
The time periods are entered as Layer 1.
The output has the Dependent List as the banners and the Layer as the rows.
                  A      B
T1               x      x
T2               y      y
I want to send these results to a *.sav file via OMS BUT I want the results to be transposed - like this....
                  T1     T2
A                 q       q
B                 r        r

How can Means be instructed to transpose the output before OMS kicks in?

Regards

Mark Webb

WhatsApp +27 (72) 199 1000 [Good Reception]
Cell +27 (72) 199 1000 [Poor Reception]
Fax to email +27 (86) 5513075
Skype  tomarkwebb
Email  [hidden email]
No landline

Re: Help with Means and OMS

PRogman
See if the command FLIP with subcommand NEWNAMES will do the trick before
saving.

HTH, PR

Mark Webb-5 wrote

> I have 2 product ratings [A,B] and 2 time periods (T1, T2).
> In MEANS I put the 2 ratings in the Dependent List.
> The time periods are entered as Layer 1.
> The output has the Dependent List as the banners and the Layer as the
> rows.
>                   A      B
> T1               x      x
> T2               y      y
> I want to send these results to a *.sav file via OMS BUT I want the
> results
> to be transposed - like this....
>                   T1     T2
> A                 q       q
> B                 r        r
>
> How can Means be instructed to transpose the output before OMS kicks in?
>
> Regards
>
> Mark Webb
>
> WhatsApp +27 (72) 199 1000 [Good Reception]
> Cell +27 (72) 199 1000 [Poor Reception]
> Fax to email +27 (86) 5513075
> Skype  tomarkwebb
> Email

> targetlinkmark@

> No landline

> INFO REFCARD

Re: Help with Means and OMS

spss.giesel@yahoo.de
You can also flip viewer tables, e.g.

SPSSINC MODIFY TABLES subtype="Frequencies"
SELECT=0
PROCESS=ALL
/STYLES CUSTOMFUNCTION="customstylefunctions.transpose".

Mario
Munich, Germany

Am Montag, 9. November 2020, 10:40:37 MEZ hat PRogman <[hidden email]> Folgendes geschrieben:

See if the command FLIP with subcommand NEWNAMES will do the trick before
saving.

HTH, PR

Mark Webb-5 wrote

> I have 2 product ratings [A,B] and 2 time periods (T1, T2).
> In MEANS I put the 2 ratings in the Dependent List.
> The time periods are entered as Layer 1.
> The output has the Dependent List as the banners and the Layer as the
> rows.
>                  A      B
> T1              x      x
> T2              y      y
> I want to send these results to a *.sav file via OMS BUT I want the
> results
> to be transposed - like this....
>                  T1    T2
> A                q      q
> B                r        r
>
> How can Means be instructed to transpose the output before OMS kicks in?
>
> Regards
>
> Mark Webb
>
> WhatsApp +27 (72) 199 1000 [Good Reception]
> Cell +27 (72) 199 1000 [Poor Reception]
> Fax to email +27 (86) 5513075
> Skype  tomarkwebb
> Email

> targetlinkmark@

> No landline

> INFO REFCARD

Re: Help with Means and OMS

Jon Peck
You can do  the transposition directly with OMS.  Here is an example.

dataset declare transposed.
oms select tables
    /if subtypes='Report'
    /destination outfile=transposed format=sav
    /columns dimnames="Employment Category".

The columns dimname specifies which dimension(s) of the table should be in the columns.  The dimension name should match the setting in Edit > Options for name, label, or both.  If in doubt, you  can see the dimension
name by  double clicking the pivot table and showing the pivot trays.

MEANS TABLES=salary salbegin BY jobcat
  /CELLS=MEAN.
omsend.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 12:48 AM Mark Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jon K Peck

Re: Help with Means and OMS

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Thanks for that example, Jon.  I just tried it in v26, and it works (code
below).  But I am (so far) unable to find that "outfile=transposed" option
in the v26 documentation for OMS.  Is it documented somewhere?

Cheers,
Bruce

PS- Here's the complete example with output from the final LIST command.

NEW FILE.
DATASET CLOSE ALL.
* Change path to show where sample data files are store.
GET FILE = "C:\SPSSdata\employee data.sav".
DATASET NAME raw.

DATASET DECLARE transposed.
OMS select tables
    /if subtypes='Report'
    /destination outfile=transposed format=sav
    /columns dimnames="Employment Category".

MEANS TABLES=salary salbegin BY jobcat
  /CELLS=MEAN.

OMSEND.

DATASET ACTIVATE transposed.
LIST.

OUTPUT:

Command_ Subtype_ Label_ Var1             Var2   Clerical  Custodial
Manager      Total

Means    Report   Report Current Salary   Mean $27,838.54 $30,938.89
$63,977.80 $34,419.57
Means    Report   Report Beginning Salary Mean $14,096.05 $15,077.78
$30,257.86 $17,016.09

Jon Peck wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: Help with Means and OMS

Jon Peck
transposed is declared as a dataset name ahead of the OMS command.  It isn't part of OMS.  Otherwise, "transposed" would be treated as a file.

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Jon K Peck

Re: Help with Means and OMS

Bruce Weaver
D'oh!!!  Yes, of course it is.  Sorry.  I'll don my pointy hat and go sit in
the corner for a while.  :-O

Jon Peck wrote

-----