Labels valuesdo not show in the data view

Labels valuesdo not show in the data view

dima
Hello,

I have imported my excel datasheet into the SPSS. There are set of variables
on a likert scales, and others nominal. But the data received via a web
based survey are initially registered in the form of worded responses worded
(string?), i.e., female, male, Agree, Disagree etc.. they were not
numericals.

On the SPSS, I have created the label value for corresponding ordinal and
nominal variables. I see this on the variable view, but not in the data
view. Pressing the label-data switch button on the top menu does not
generate the codes. The only way I can have the cells display the values is
by clicking few times on each cells. For 1000's data this is not practical.

In the variable view section, I changed the characteristic of gender (for a
trial) from String to Numerical. This did not also work,for example, in the
snapshot 2 the gender data were not not showing anymore.

Could you please advise how can I solve this issue? I am not familiar at all
with the syntax thing and i dont know how to recode on syntax without a step
by step examples on one of the variables. I appreciate every support in
this!
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t341758/SPSS_snapshot_2.jpg>
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t341758/SPSS_snapshot1.jpg>

All the best- Dima

Re: Labels valuesdo not show in the data view

Robert L
Perhaps not the answer you want, but I can't really see when seeing all the labels would be that important, not in the dataset itself at least. However, it could be of use when variables are chosen for analysis or descriptions. And in a variable list (or almost anywhere you have a variable name) you can look at the contents by placing the pointer on the variable, clicking right-button and have a look at "Variable Information".

Robert

Robert Lundqvist

Re: Labels valuesdo not show in the data view

spss.giesel@yahoo.de
Hi, Dima,

Imho. the best practice would be to convert your strings into a numeric format and only work with the numeric representations. After that you can switch between labels and numerical values.

You can do this with AUTORECODE in a first step and maybe with RECODE in a second step to rectify for the order of the numeric values and corresponding labels.

* Example: Step 1.
AUTORECODE VARIABLES=@1Pleasein... @1Pleasein... @1Pleasein... @1Pleasein... @1Pleasein...
  /INTO Q01_1 Q01_2 Q01_3 Q01_4 Q01_5
  /GROUP
  /PRINT.

* Example: Step 2 (only if order of value labels is relevant).
RECODE Q01_1 Q01_2 Q01_3 Q01_4 Q01_5 (... = 1) (... = 2) (... = 3) (... = 4) INTO R01_1 R01_2 R01_3 R01_4 R01_5.
VALUE LABELS R01_1 R01_2 R01_3 R01_4 R01_5
1 "Extremely ..." 2 "..." 3 "..." 4 "...".
VAR LABELS R01_1 "...".
VAR LABELS R01_2 "...".
VAR LABELS R01_3 "...".
VAR LABELS R01_4 "...".
VAR LABELS R01_5 "...".

Good luck,
Mario

Am Dienstag, 9. Juni 2020, 07:37:52 MESZ hat dima <[hidden email]> Folgendes geschrieben:

[...]

margmacd
Hi Dima

I am not sure that I truly understand your need. However, in case this helps, I suggest that you go to the SPSS menu View and use the option 'Value labels' to alternate between viewing numerical codes and text labels across multiple columns for which you have already used the values facility in Variable View to map numerical codes to text. If this does not work, I suggest preparing the data in Excel in the form of numerical codes first and then assigning the text labels in SPSS. This way, your variables will appear automatically in SPSS as type Numeric. This involves extra work, but carries a lot of advantages when trying to avoid issues with data preparation, presentation and analysis.

Best wishes
Margaret

Dr Margaret MacDougall
Medical Statistician and Researcher in Education
(Senior Lecturer)
Centre for Population Health Sciences
The Usher Institute of Population Health Sciences and Informatics
University of Edinburgh Medical School
Teviot Place
Edinburgh EH8 9AG
Tel: +44(0)131 650 3211
Fax: +44(0)131 650 6909
Email: [hidden email]
https://www.ed.ac.uk/profile/margaret-macdougall

[...]

To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to [hidden email] (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

Re: Labels valuesdo not show in the data view

dima
Hello Robert,

Thank you for the comment. Apologies if my explanation would be a bit long.

The issue when I imported my excel datasheet, I converted the respondents
answers (Extremely concerned, Moderately concerned, etc..) into values ( 5
'...', 4'...' etc). Following this, the cells went blank, I did not see
anymore the data (not labels, not values) only when I double click on each
cell.

What I did is I referred to the Excel datasheet and I replaced all answers
with codes (numbers), and I pasted this on the SPSS. It worked well, I can
see the values in the Data view and I can switch between labels and values,
but then I got another problem that could have primarily started in the way
data was handled in the excel sheet.

Initially, part of the data we received (web based survey) were not in
English as we had two surveys (Arabic and English). Those in Arabic were
translated on excel (excel translator). Since the translation did not
generate the exact terms we had in the original English (re. the answer
options), we edited those inexact wording to match the original English
version. So now, all those cells on excel were edited and combined with the
English datasheet, then numbered and pasted on SPSS. We can see the values.

But when I run the frequency test, as an example for the gender and country
of residence, the output was not correct as shown in the snapshots. In the
first picture, instead of having 3 countries with corresponding number of
respondents, the data is fragmented and we got fractions from Lebanon and
Jordan then again from the 3 countries included in this work.

Same for Gender, in this snapshot gender with small letters or capital
letters appear (total data correct but fragmented). Initially in the excel
after translation all cells with small letters were capitalized. In the
gender column in SPSS, there are no small letters, yet it appears here.
Similarly, the word "Mention" was generated by the translator of excel sheet
instead of "Male" as the word Male in Arabic could mean athe gender Male or
the verb "Mention". Also , there is no "Mention" in the SPSS, yet it shows.

This sounds really complicated, I just thought to answer you on this maybe I
get more hints how to fix this issue.

Thanks anyway for your comment.

All the best- Dima

Re: Labels valuesdo not show in the data view

dima
Many thanks, Mario,

I see that I should learn how to use Syntax to solve this issue next time. I
have converted the excel datasheet into numerical codes and copied it to
SPSS.  It worked well, I can see the values now, but I am having other
issues now/ Part of the data were in Arabic translated by the excel
translator to English with some editing later on. However, SPSS output still
displays pre-edited label names (these were already corrected in the  excel
sheet and correctly used in SPSS, ). This sounds complex for me.  But,
again, thank you again for the comment!

Re: Labels valuesdo not show in the data view

Bruce Weaver
Your snapshot1 image shows that all of the variables are read in as string,
and they appear to have values that include non-numeric characters.  So when
you manually change the variable type for Sex from string to numeric, you
end up with system missing values on every row.  Instead of doing that, you
need to RECODE or AUTORECODE Sex to convert it from string to numeric.
AUTORECODE has the advantage of using the existing values as value labels
for the new variable.  For your Likert-type items, are numbers included as
part of the string values that are read in?  E.g., do you see something
like:

1. Strongly disagree
2. Disagree
3. Neutral
4. Agree
5. Strongly agree

Or do you see just labels without the numbers?

If the numbers are there, AUTORECODE will work for these variables too.  If
the numbers are not there, you'll have to use RECODE to get things in the
right order.  You can find examples online by searching on terms like the
following:

spss recode string to numeric
spss autorecode examples

HTH.

dima wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: Labels valuesdo not show in the data view

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Apologies for repeating the same advice Mario gave.  No replies were visible
to me when I posted.  I should have refreshed the page first to check if
anyone had replied.

Bruce Weaver wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: Labels valuesdo not show in the data view

John F Hall

Bruce

I’ve been helping Dima to sort this out.

She’s now got all the variables in numeric, but there are some gigantic var labs which need to be drastically shortened and there seem to be two samples from two countries and two different sets of val labs for the same question responses.  Dima is going through and checking.

John

John F Hall MA (Cantab) Dip Ed (Dunelm)

IBM-SPSS Academic Author 9900074

Email: [hidden email]

Website: Journeys in Survey Research

Course: Survey Analysis Workshop (SPSS)

Re: Labels valuesdo not show in the data view

dima
Hello Bruce,

Many thanks for your comment. I appreciate this. As John mentioned, at the
moment this is sorted out thanks to his help as well. It seems  I have other
complex issues having part of the data being translated from Arabic to
English, this must have duplicated the Var labels which were not initially
entered or created on SPSS. Weird outputs. I guess we need to re-start from
scratch.

I thank you all for the kind support, this is a great forum.

All the best- Dima