OT a Useful tool. About a video clip re: potential Covid spread from meat plant

OT a Useful tool. About a video clip re: potential Covid spread from meat plant

Art Kendall
The video clip discussed in the attached is interesting from 2 viewpoints.
-- Information about Spreading of Covid 19 from a meat plant
-- A tool that could be interesting in methods and stat classes.

Feel free to use the pdf in your talks, classes, etc.

This is an email I sent to scientific colleagues who are interested in
social/policy issues and/or in stat and methods in social and behavioral
sciences.

-----
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: OT a Useful tool. About a video clip re: potential Covid spread from meat plant

Art Kendall
Sorry, I thought I attached a pdf.  I don't see how to attach to this list so
this is a past of the contents.

Useful tools from other disciplines.

A video clip recently struck me.  The clip visualized the dispersal of cell
phones over a month starting near a meat processing plant.  The clip
provided strong insight into social contacts and Covid-19 contagion.

The clip is aimed at the business community, but this kind of tool could
provide useful insight for the policy community and for the social and
behavioral science community. It can be found at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0qAT65V1P0
The producer is
http://www.tectonix.com/

Techtonix and SPSS are intended only as examples and not as advertisements.

The clip visualized the potential spread of the Covid 19 virus. But the clip
also struck me in other ways. It can speak to social and behavioral
scientists from many fields. This clip shows a tool that has potential to be
adopted and adapted by other disciplines. This clip used unobtrusive
measures and visualization. This approach gives insight not only into
spread of a contaminant but also into spread of fads, ideas, etc.

Different disciplines develop, adapt, and adopt tools to aid perception and
cognition about phenomena. This clip is a specific example of people in
geographically spread places being connected for our food supply.

At the Classification Society, how different disciplines could learn from
each other often struck me. I also saw how very much the same kinds of
analysis tools would develop with the same aims but different names. Some
kinds of exploratory analysis came to be called data mining. Data mining
evolved into  big data. Big data evolved into data science. Cluster
analysis, pattern detection, and unsupervised learning were very much the
same tool.  Discriminant function, pattern recognition, and supervised
learning were very much the same tool.
Likewise factor analysis and feature selection served similar functions.

Since I retired in 2001, I saw more examples of tools evolving to help other
disciplines. At a joint meeting of the Classification Society and Digital
Humanities, I saw how similar the approaches were when considering text data
such as manuscripts from Scandinavian epics.  A little later, I saw how much
useful those text analysis techniques could be in the intelligence
community.

One thing that helped all these tools was the growth in computer power.  It
used to take may years of monk labor to generate a concordance of the Bible.
Today once we enter data, it takes mere minutes to generate a concordance.
When Mosteller and Wallace first did a statistical analysis of the
Federalist papers they used frequencies of 18 words. About 2009, I used
Python and SPSS to look at frequencies of 1000 words and it took a couple of
minutes. Someday, I hope to do the same with dyads and triads of words
within sentences.

Around 2000, basically only a few people at MIT were able to handle both
spatial and temporal repeated measures  (autocorrelation) simultaneously.
SPSS now has the ability to model both time and spatial data simultaneously.

-----

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: OT a Useful tool. About a video clip re: potential Covid spread from meat plant

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Hi Art.  It appears you are posting via Nabble.  In the composition window,
click the More button at the right end of the toolbar, and then select
Upload a file.  This will result in a hyperlink to the uploaded file.  I
think that members who interact with the list via regular email should have
access to the uploaded file by clicking that hyperlink.  But if not, they
can always view this thread via Nabble.  Here's the link:

http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/OT-a-Useful-tool-About-a-video-clip-re-potential-Covid-spread-from-meat-plant-td5739163.html

HTH.

Art Kendall wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: OT a Useful tool. About a video clip re: potential Covid spread from meat plant

Art Kendall
Useful_tools_from_other_disciplines.pdf
<http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/file/t47554/Useful_tools_from_other_disciplines.pdf>

Thanks Bruce. I could not remember hot to up load.  I searced for
"attachment".

-----