Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

jreyespo
Hi all,

I would like to create a mental health services variable with 4 categories
(no treatment, formal, online, and combined) using the following six
dichotomous variables (No=0; Yes = 1):

Mental Health Professional (MH_2)
Primary Care Doctor (MH_3)
Psychiatrist (MH_4)
Crisis Hotline (MH_5)
Online Program for Mental Health (MH_6)
Mental Health App (MH_7)

Participants were allowed to select multiple choices. No treatment would be
if a participant selected No for all 6 variables. Formal would be if a
participant selected Yes for any variable from MH_2 to MH_5, but No for MH_6
and MH_7. Online would be if participant selected Yes to MH_6 or MH_7, but
No for all MH_2 to MH_5. Combined would be if participant selected Yes to
MH_6 or MH_7 and Yes to any MH_2 to MH_5.

I have some experience recoding and combining categorical variables, but not
one with this many permutations. I know similar topics have been discussed
on this forum in the past, but I have been unable to find a response that
matches my problem. Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Jazmin

Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

jreyespo
Hi all,

I would like to create a mental health services variable with 4 categories
(no treatment, formal, online, and combined) using the following six
dichotomous variables (No=0; Yes = 1):

Mental Health Professional (MH_2)
Primary Care Doctor (MH_3)
Psychiatrist (MH_4)
Crisis Hotline (MH_5)
Online Program for Mental Health (MH_6)
Mental Health App (MH_7)

Participants were allowed to select multiple choices. No treatment would be
if a participant selected No for all 6 variables. Formal would be if a
participant selected Yes for any variable from MH_2 to MH_5, but No for MH_6
and MH_7. Online would be if participant selected Yes to MH_6 and/or MH_7,
but No for all MH_2 to MH_5. Combined would be if participant selected Yes
to MH_6 and/or MH_7 and Yes to any MH_2 to MH_5.

I have some experience recoding and combining categorical variables, but not
one with this many permutations. I know similar topics have been discussed
on this forum in the past, but I have been unable to find a response that
matches my problem. Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Jazmin

Re: Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

Jeff A
It's fairly straightforward following a template similar to:

Compute NewVar1 = 1.
If (OldVar1 = 0 and OldVar2 = 1) NewVar1 = 0.

Repeat for the 4 different categories with alterations as necessary.

...although there are many ways to do this and you might run into a problem
with the simple code above if you have missing cases.

Best,

Jeff

Re: Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

spss.giesel@yahoo.de
Hi,

try this:

DATA LIST /MH_2 1 MH_3 2 MH_4 3 MH_5 4 MH_6 5 MH_7 6.
BEGIN DATA
END DATA.

DO IF MAX(MH_2,MH_3,MH_4,MH_5,MH_6,MH_7) = 0.
- COMPUTE treatment = 1.
ELSE IF MAX(MH_2,MH_3,MH_4,MH_5) = 1 AND MAX(MH_6,MH_7) = 0.
- COMPUTE treatment = 2.
ELSE IF MAX(MH_2,MH_3,MH_4,MH_5) = 0 AND MAX(MH_6,MH_7) = 1.
- COMPUTE treatment = 3.
ELSE IF MAX(MH_2,MH_3,MH_4,MH_5) = 1 AND MAX(MH_6,MH_7) = 1.
- COMPUTE treatment = 4.
END IF.

VAL LAB treatment
1 'None'
2 'Formal'
3 'Online'
4 'Combined'.
FORMATS treatment (F1).
FREQUENCIES treatment.

Mario Giesel
Munich, Germany

Am Mittwoch, 25. November 2020, 05:56:15 MEZ hat jreyespo <[hidden email]> Folgendes geschrieben:

[...]

Maguin, Eugene
I think there's several ways to do this but one way that I like is to make a new string variable that combines responses from the component variables and then recode that into to my new category variables. I like doing this because I can easily see all the combinations of responses. The alternative is crosstabs, which I think would be unmanageable beyond two 'by' keywords. I would do this (and I'm going to assume that each variable is coded only as 0=No or 1=Yes and whatever odd things are in the data values have been fixed already.

String pattern(a6).
Do repeat x=mh_2  to mh_7.
Compute pattern=concat(rtrim(pattern),string(x,f1.0)).
End repeat.

Gene Maguin

I would like to create a mental health services variable with 4 categories (no treatment, formal, online, and combined) using the following six dichotomous variables (No=0; Yes = 1):

Mental Health Professional (MH_2)
Primary Care Doctor (MH_3)
Psychiatrist (MH_4)
Crisis Hotline (MH_5)
Online Program for Mental Health (MH_6)
Mental Health App (MH_7)

Participants were allowed to select multiple choices. No treatment would be if a participant selected No for all 6 variables. Formal would be if a participant selected Yes for any variable from MH_2 to MH_5, but No for MH_6 and MH_7. Online would be if participant selected Yes to MH_6 and/or MH_7, but No for all MH_2 to MH_5. Combined would be if participant selected Yes to MH_6 and/or MH_7 and Yes to any MH_2 to MH_5.

I have some experience recoding and combining categorical variables, but not one with this many permutations. I know similar topics have been discussed on this forum in the past, but I have been unable to find a response that matches my problem. Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Jazmin

Re: Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Hi Gene.  Jazmin must have posted the same question twice, as there are two
separate threads in the Nabble archive.  Mario G posted a solution in the
other thread.  I'll merge the threads after I finish this post!

Cheers,
Bruce

Maguin, Eugene wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

Jon Peck
There are lots of ways to construct such a combination using standard syntax: Gene has shown one here.

But this reminds me of a function accessible through the SPSSINC TRANS extension command that packs up to 53 dummy variables
into a single variable.  It has a companion function that extracts selected dummies.  I wrote this initially to provide a convenient
way of storing a large number of dummies where you might need to exact one or a few at a time.

Here is an example.
data list list/x1 to x10.
begin data.
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0
end data.
dataset name binary.

* pack 10 variables.  The <> in the formula stands for the list in /variables.
spssinc trans result=packed /variables x1 to x10
/formula "extendedTransforms.packDummies([<>])".

* extract two specific bits.  Bits are numbered from 0.
spssinc trans result=bit3 bit4
/formula "extendedTransforms.extractDummies(packed, indexes='2,3')".

It's up to the user to remember which bit is which, but a custom attribute on the packed variable could be helpful here.
This creates an attribute named dict with the displayed text.

variable attribute variables = packed attribute=dict("x1 to x10").

The extendedTransforms module is installed with Statistics; SPSSINC TRANS can be installed from the Extensions > Extension Hub menu.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 8:26 AM Maguin, Eugene <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think there's several ways to do this but one way that I like is to make a new string variable that combines responses from the component variables and then recode that into to my new category variables. I like doing this because I can easily see all the combinations of responses. The alternative is crosstabs, which I think would be unmanageable beyond two 'by' keywords. I would do this (and I'm going to assume that each variable is coded only as 0=No or 1=Yes and whatever odd things are in the data values have been fixed already.

String pattern(a6).
Do repeat x=mh_2  to mh_7.
Compute pattern=concat(rtrim(pattern),string(x,f1.0)).
End repeat.

Gene Maguin

Re: Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

Rich Ulrich
It looks to me like logic reduces the problem enormously, from 7
dichotomies to two.  Combining two dichtomies is simple.
I use ANY( )  as a handy tool, though the example with MAX( ) works
the same if there are no stray (error) values in the dataset.
I write this code as several lines, for the ease of reading -

COMMENT  Create four categories, scored from 1 to 4.
Compute  any25 = ANY(1, MH_2 to MH_5).
Compute  any67= ANY(1, MH_6, MH_7).
Compute newvar= 1 + any25 + 2*any67.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Very nice, Rich.  I ran your code on the dataset Mario posted earlier, and it
yields the same results as his DO-IF structure.  I hope a text version of
the cross-tab displays okay here:

MG * RU Crosstabulation
Count
                RU Total
                1 2 3 4
MG 1 1 0 0 0 1
        2 0 15 0 0 15
        3 0 0 3 0 3
        4 0 0 0 45 45
Tot 1 15 3 45 64

Rich Ulrich wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

MLIves

This sounded like something I could really use, but when I tried it, there was a warning for both spssinc trans commands:

Warnings

module 'string' has no attribute 'replace'

Did I miss something?  Is there documentation for packed and bits?

Melissa

[...]

This correspondence contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged; it is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this correspondence and completely dispose of the correspondence immediately. Please notify the sender if you have received this email in error. NOTE: Messages to or from the State of Connecticut domain may be subject to the Freedom of Information statutes and regulations.

Re: Recoding multiple dichotomous variables into new categorical variable

MLIves

Hi Jon,

I copied it from the prior message and commented out the 2 lines before the var attribute line.

(I’m using v27.0.1)

I did try replacing the <> and the [<>] in various combinations, including dropping the square brackets.

[...]

Unfortunately, the conversion of this module to Python 3 with V27 was not done correctly.  I have reported this to Development, but I have fixed these problems.
(The packing/unpacking code did not change, but changes were required in other places in order to get the module to load.)

Anyone can download the fixed version from this link.

Replace the one you have with the attached.  To find out where it lives, run this code.
begin program python3.
import extendedTransforms
print(extendedTransforms)
end program.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 10:21 AM Ives, Melissa L <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

extendedTransforms.py (85K) Download Attachment