SPSS Mac 13.0 vs. Windows 14.0

Boyd, Christopher
After checking the archives, I did not see a conversation about this.
Forgive me if this has been discussed at length.

I am thinking about upgrading from SPSS windows version 12.0.

1) Is there a significant differences/advantages to SPSS V14 Windows
compared to SPSS V13 MAC?

2) My portable computer is a Mac Intel machine, which can run both Mac
and windows operating systems, though I can allocate just 550 MB of ram
to Windows while running MAC OS X.  If I run just windows on my Mac, the
1GB of ram is available. I would prefer to be able to switch back and
forth between the two operating systems.

Is 550MB of RAM enough to run SPSS Windows 14.0?  My data-sets tend to
have tens of thousands to millions of records, but generally are not
subjected to statistical heavy lifting.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from the New York City Office of the Comptroller. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

Re: SPSS Mac 13.0 vs. Windows 14.0

Margaret MacDougall
Dear Christopher

  That is a pity.  I am resending your message to the list just in case it has been overlooked and somebody genuinely has some insight into these areas.

  Best wishes

  Margaret

"Boyd, Christopher" <[hidden email]> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Not a one. Unfortunately. All of the responses were asking for information, like yours.  Perhaps if there are a few more posts, we could get the SPSS rep that monitors the list to say something.

  Cheers

  Chris

---------------------------------

---------------------------------

Re: SPSS Mac 13.0 vs. Windows 14.0

Michael Healy-2
Hi Christopher,
   V14 is the better choice if you are going to be doing any in-depth data
transformations or complicated analyses.  The package includes a Python
integration API (a simple but powerful scripting language), SAX basic for
working with output, an updated graphics engine, and a multiple data editor
windows.

I haven't used v13 for the Mac, but I found 11.04 for the Mac to be very
solid and used it to process million+ record files.  My only caution here is
that it may take one or two updates for v13 to be totally reliable.

v14 in emulation mode would be possible I suppose but you would really be
pushing it using large data sets.  The system probably runs about 70% as
fast as in native mode and speed will decrease even more if other programs
like Word or Excel are open.

In thinking about your upgrade, you should consider the programs you'll be
using in your standard workflow, i.e., will you be building PowerPoint
presentations with SPSS graphs, exporting SPSS output into Excel files, etc.
Historically, emulation software has not always delivered cross-platform
compatibility via cut and paste so one of the drawbacks of working with a
virtual machine is that your workflow can be interrupted by all of the extra
things one has to do to get what they want.  For example, you may not be
able to copy and paste a graph from SPSS on Windows into Word on the Mac.
Instead, you'd need to export the graph as a jpg, then import it into word.
These little steps add up.

In summary, the best option is to run v14 and accompanying programs in
Windows natively.  Partition the hard drive and run windows m-f and os x on
the weekend ;).  Next best option is v13 on os x.  Finally, v14 in
emulation. You might also consider whether the free software alternatives of
R with X11 can meet your needs.

Hope that helps,
Mike