Truncating zip code

Frommelt, Allen
I am interested in mapping patient origin from zip code. Our zip codes are currently 9 character strings, but our mapping software can only read five character zip codes. Does anyone on the list know of a method in SPSS that will allow me to create a 5 character zip code variable by lopping off the last four characters (e.g., 06451333 would become 06451).

Thanks

Allen

Re: Truncating zip code

Mahbub Khandoker
HI Allen,
You can try this,
data list list / ZIP(a9).
begin data.
end data.

STRING ZIP_five(A5).
COMPUTE ZIP_five=RTRIM(SUBSTR(ZIP,INDEX(ZIP,',')+1)).
EXECUTE.

Cheers!
Mahbub

Re: Truncating zip code

Oliver, Richard
If zip code is a number, use the trunc function, as in:
compute newzip=trunc(oldzip/10000).

If it's a string, create a new string variable that's only 5-characters and then set it equal to the old string, which will get truncated, as in:

string newzip (a5)
compute newzip=oldzip.

I am interested in mapping patient origin from zip code. Our zip codes are currently 9 character strings, but our mapping software can only read five character zip codes. Does anyone on the list know of a method in SPSS that will allow me to create a 5 character zip code variable by lopping off the last four characters (e.g., 06451333 would become 06451).

Thanks

Allen

Re: Truncating zip code

<R. Abraham>
Try this:

STRING zip (A5) .
COMPUTE zip = SUBSTR(ZIPCODE,1,5) .
EXECUTE .

"Frommelt, Allen" <[hidden email]>
Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <[hidden email]>
07/07/2006 02:28 PM
Please respond to
"Frommelt, Allen" <[hidden email]>

cc

Subject
Truncating zip code

I am interested in mapping patient origin from zip code. Our zip codes are
currently 9 character strings, but our mapping software can only read five
character zip codes. Does anyone on the list know of a method in SPSS that
will allow me to create a 5 character zip code variable by lopping off the
last four characters (e.g., 06451333 would become 06451).

Thanks

Allen

Re: Truncating zip code

Oliver, Richard
This solution is a tad more complex than it needs to be. Specifically, the COMPUTE statement can be simplified to:

compute zip_five=zip.

This will result in a truncated string if zip_five is defined as A5 (as in your example).

I am interested in mapping patient origin from zip code. Our zip codes are currently 9 character strings, but our mapping software can only read five character zip codes. Does anyone on the list know of a method in SPSS that will allow me to create a 5 character zip code variable by lopping off the last four characters (e.g., 06451333 would become 06451).

Thanks

Allen

Re: Truncating zip code

Siraj Ur-rehman
Use This one.

 STRING ZIP_NEW (A5).
COMPUTE ZIP_NEW = SUBSTR(ZIP,1,5) .
EXECUTE .

Allen

Thank You!

Frommelt, Allen
I wanted to thank everyone for your help. I have successfully truncated my zip code so we can now map the data.

Thanks

Allen