first Monday of the month

wsu_wright

Trying to find the syntax to identify the 1st Monday of the month in a data set of date values over several years.  I thought I had seen this before but couldn't find it in the archives, my apologies if I missed it.

Re: first Monday of the month

Art Kendall
Please give more detail, perhaps with an example set of data with date and a
flag variable indicating what you would want the result of the suggested
syntax to be.

Do want the first Monday that occurs *in the data* even if it is the second
or third month on a calendar?

-----
Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Art Kendall
Social Research Consultants

Re: first Monday of the month

wsu_wright
Thanks Art. Whether a string or a 0,1 binary for the flag, I need to identify among activity dates which is the 1st Monday of any given month.  Hope what I have helps, if not just holler.

actv_date = date of activity
FMM = indicator of 1st Monday of the month

actv_date FMM
6/29/2020
6/30/2020
7/1/2020
7/2/2020
7/3/2020
7/4/2020
7/5/2020
7/6/2020 Y
7/7/2020
7/8/2020

> On July 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Please give more detail, perhaps with an example set of data with date and a
> flag variable indicating what you would want the result of the suggested
> syntax to be.
>
> Do want the first Monday that occurs *in the data* even if it is the second
> or third month on a calendar?
>

> -----
> Art Kendall
> Social Research Consultants
> --
> Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

> INFO REFCARD

Re: first Monday of the month

wsu_wright
Sorry Art, missed part of your question, I'm only flagging the 1st Monday that occurs in any month, not the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Mondays.

> On July 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM coxspss coxspss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks Art. Whether a string or a 0,1 binary for the flag, I need to identify among activity dates which is the 1st Monday of any given month.  Hope what I have helps, if not just holler.
>
> actv_date = date of activity
> FMM = indicator of 1st Monday of the month
>
> actv_date FMM
> 6/29/2020
> 6/30/2020
> 7/1/2020
> 7/2/2020
> 7/3/2020
> 7/4/2020
> 7/5/2020
> 7/6/2020 Y
> 7/7/2020
> 7/8/2020
>

> > On July 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Please give more detail, perhaps with an example set of data with date and a
> > flag variable indicating what you would want the result of the suggested
> > syntax to be.
> >
> > Do want the first Monday that occurs *in the data* even if it is the second
> > or third month on a calendar?
> >

> > -----
> > Art Kendall
> > Social Research Consultants
> > --
> > Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

> > INFO REFCARD

Re: first Monday of the month

Bruce Weaver
As Art K said in his reply, some clarification is needed, and a sample
dataset showing what you want to do would help.  But meanwhile, I suspect
that you need one of more of the date extraction functions shown here:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLVMB_26.0.0/statistics_reference_project_ddita/spss/base/syn_date_and_time_extraction_functions.html

See especially:

  XDATE.YEAR(datevalue)
  XDATE.MONTH(datevalue)
  XDATE.WKDAY(datevalue)

HTH.

coxspss wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: first Monday of the month

Jon Peck
Try this code.
data list list/actv_date(adate10).
begin data.
6/29/2020
6/30/2020
7/1/2020
7/2/2020
7/3/2020
7/4/2020
7/5/2020
7/6/2020
7/7/2020
7/8/2020
end data

compute wkday = xdate.wkday(actv_date).
do if wkday eq 2.
compute firstmonday = xdate.mday(actv_date) <= 7.
else.
compute firstmonday = 0.
end if.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 9:40 AM coxspss coxspss <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry Art, missed part of your question, I'm only flagging the 1st Monday that occurs in any month, not the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Mondays.

> On July 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM coxspss coxspss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks Art. Whether a string or a 0,1 binary for the flag, I need to identify among activity dates which is the 1st Monday of any given month.  Hope what I have helps, if not just holler.
>
> actv_date = date of activity
> FMM = indicator of 1st Monday of the month
>
> actv_date FMM
> 6/29/2020
> 6/30/2020
> 7/1/2020
> 7/2/2020
> 7/3/2020
> 7/4/2020
> 7/5/2020
> 7/6/2020 Y
> 7/7/2020
> 7/8/2020
>

> > On July 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Please give more detail, perhaps with an example set of data with date and a
> > flag variable indicating what you would want the result of the suggested
> > syntax to be.
> >
> > Do want the first Monday that occurs *in the data* even if it is the second
> > or third month on a calendar?
> >

> > -----
> > Art Kendall
> > Social Research Consultants
> > --
> > Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

> > INFO REFCARD

Jon K Peck

Re: first Monday of the month

wsu_wright

Thanks Jon, the code worked perfectly, and thanks to Art & Bruce for having me revise the description.

On July 11, 2020 at 12:05 PM Jon Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Try this code.
data list list/actv_date(adate10).
begin data.
6/29/2020
6/30/2020
7/1/2020
7/2/2020
7/3/2020
7/4/2020
7/5/2020
7/6/2020
7/7/2020
7/8/2020
end data

compute wkday = xdate.wkday(actv_date).
do if wkday eq 2.
compute firstmonday = xdate.mday(actv_date) <= 7.
else.
compute firstmonday = 0.
end if.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 9:40 AM coxspss coxspss < [hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry Art, missed part of your question, I'm only flagging the 1st Monday that occurs in any month, not the 2nd, 3rd or 4th Mondays.

> On July 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM coxspss coxspss < [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Thanks Art. Whether a string or a 0,1 binary for the flag, I need to identify among activity dates which is the 1st Monday of any given month.  Hope what I have helps, if not just holler.
>
> actv_date = date of activity
> FMM = indicator of 1st Monday of the month
>
> actv_date FMM
> 6/29/2020
> 6/30/2020
> 7/1/2020
> 7/2/2020
> 7/3/2020
> 7/4/2020
> 7/5/2020
> 7/6/2020 Y
> 7/7/2020
> 7/8/2020
>

> > On July 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Art Kendall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Please give more detail, perhaps with an example set of data with date and a
> > flag variable indicating what you would want the result of the suggested
> > syntax to be.
> >
> > Do want the first Monday that occurs *in the data* even if it is the second
> > or third month on a calendar?
> >

> > -----
> > Art Kendall
> > Social Research Consultants
> > --
> > Sent from: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/

> > INFO REFCARD

Jon K Peck

Re: first Monday of the month

Bruce Weaver
Administrator
Here's a variation on Jon's code that doesn't compute variable wkday.  (If
you don't need it for anything else, why have it clutter up your dataset
needlessly?)

COMPUTE FirstMonday =
 XDATE.WKDAY(DateVar) EQ 2 AND
 XDATE.MDAY(DateVar) LE 7.
FORMATS FirstMonday(F1).

coxspss wrote

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Bruce Weaver
bweaver@lakeheadu.ca

"When all else fails, RTFM."

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.
2. The SPSSX Discussion forum on Nabble is no longer linked to the SPSSX-L listserv administered by UGA (https://listserv.uga.edu/).

Re: first Monday of the month

Jon Peck
I admit, my code was not elegant.  I was trying to show the logic by breaking it into pieces, but Bruce’s more concise version is just fine.

-----
--
Bruce Weaver

"When all else fails, RTFM."

Jon K Peck

Re: first Monday of the month

wsu_wright
Thanks gentlemen, once I saw the codes, the logic became evident of what I was missing, simple and eloquent.