frequency distribution

Veerle Grispen
Dear spss-users!

I would like to combine two frequency distributions (histograms) in one
graph, can somebody tell me whether and how this is possible within SPSS?

Kind regards,
Veerle Grispen

Re: frequency distribution

Jeremy Miles-3
I do this by using Tables -> Tables of Frequencies.

Then either paste the table into Excel, and draw the graph from there,
or use interactive graph from the pivot table.

If the measures are continuous, you might need to bin them first.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Miles
mailto:[hidden email]             http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~jnvm1/

NOTE: New address from September 2006:
RAND Corporation, 1776 Main St, Santa Monica, CA, USA.
(New email and stuff too, but I don't know it yet).

Re: frequency distribution

Beadle, ViAnn
What makes these two histograms different? Different variables or different cases? What release of SPSS are you running? Do you want the histograms to have common y scales and/or common bins?

Re: frequency distribution

Peck, Jon
I am not sure what you are looking for here, but using Ggraph and GPL with SPSS 14 you can easily create stacked histograms or frequency polygons.  You could also use paneling if you are splitting your sample by another variable and want histograms for each (that works in SPSS 13).

You might also use Population Pyramids, which can do either bar charts for a categorical variable or histograms for scale (interval) data.

To combine two independent charts into the same graph, say side by side or vertically, you could use GPL with its Graph: command to position the two charts.

Regards,
Jon Peck
SPSS